Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Rig using SG03

Last response: in Systems
October 12, 2009 9:40:08 AM

I'm interested in a portable gaming rig (it'll also be used for light photo/video editing) and given the choice between a gaming laptop or an SFF build, I prefer the latter (cheaper, more bang for the buck, I like building things). The plan right now is to build an SFF rig using the Silverstone SG03 and to transport it with the sugo pack. Not sure how relevant this is, but I'll be transporting the system from the US to Argentina as carry-on (assuming that's possible, I haven't asked yet - hopefully it is).

Anyhow, I've been kicking around ideas, and I'm looking for some advice. Since I'll be in Argentina for the foreseeable future, my primary concern is component reliability (looking for quality, no over-clocking, needs to run cool) and warranty/customer service. Quite frankly a C2D system with an upper-mid range graphics card should fit my needs just fine. That being said, if it's possible, I wouldn't mind putting in the latest and greatest, as long as it meets the above requirements for reliability.

I just started (literally a few hours ago), but here's a rough idea of what I'm considering:

Latest-Greatest Build

Mobo MSI P55M-GD45 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard or
EVGA 121-LF-E652-KR Intel P55 Core i5/i7 Socket 1156 PC3-16000 (DDR3-2000) mATX Motherboard Retail
(going to wait for reviews)

Processor i7 860

Graphics Card Nvidia GTX 260

Before I even look into anything else, is this feasible? For cooling, the plan is to use a Corsair H50 and either modding a blow-hole in the top myself or buying from performance-pc and having them do it for me. Do you think this would run hot or do you think it would work? If that won't be enough cooling, any other suggestions for either more cooling or swapping components to make it work?

C2D Build

Mobo Unsure - any suggestions (emphasis on no over-clocking and reliability + upper
mid level graphics card capable)?

Processor Intel E8500 Wolfdale 3.16 ghz 6 mb

Graphics Card Unsure - I prefer Nvidia (upper mid level graphics, best one that the mobo can
run, less than $200)

Would the stock cooling be enough or should I still plan on using an H50 or some other cooling solution? Could I get by without the blow-hole or with a pci slot fan?

If the first build is feasible, I'd like to give it a shot, but otherwise a C2D build should meet my needs just fine. Anyhow, open to any and all suggestions and/or pointers to things I may be overlooking. Hope you can help!

Cheers,
MB (_09 ; boo for forgotten passwords/submitted email addresses...)

More about : gaming rig sg03

October 12, 2009 10:18:42 AM

build said:
How about the Core I5?

Intel Core i5-750
+
GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2
Combo Price: $299.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

If your not overclocking, the stock cooler will suffice.

What is your budget and what parts do you not require i.e. monitor, etc. ?

I think core i5 should be fine. Budget is around $1400. I wanted to make sure that the build was actually feasible before putting much more effort into it. Do the i5s run cooler than the i7s? Main thing I'm looking for is cool and reliable.

I plan on reusing HDDs and possibly the monitor. Whether I get a new monitor depends on if I have a graphics card that can run 1080 hd for games. If it can, then I'm in the market for a new monitor (preliminarily I'm looking at the 25.5" Samsung Touch of Color HD

Also thinking of reusing a psu, but it's not modular and I was reading that for i5 and i7 systems, 80+ silver rated psus are recommended. I might end up needing to buy a new psu, and if that's the case I'll probably get a corsair (wattage depending on the system).

So basically I have quite a bit of leeway to customize. The main thing I want is cool, reliable and able to run an upper mid range graphics card. If the best way to get a cool and reliable system (using the SFF SG03 or something of comparable size) is to go core 2 duo, then that's fine with me. Hope that helps clear things up a bit.
Related resources
October 12, 2009 10:55:53 AM

The Core I5 is just as reliable as any other processor out there. Core 2 Duo/Quad is old and outdated, you should be looking towards Intel's latest range or even AMD. You need to focus more on performance, not cooling, mostly because you can always buy a retail cooler if you find the temeperatures unsatisfactory. You won't need an expensive one either since you don't plan to overclock.

You should be able to get a better graphics card with that budget so buying that monitor won't be a problem.

As for the PSU, what make/model and capacity is it? And how old is it?
October 12, 2009 11:06:46 AM

build said:
The Core I5 is just as reliable as any other processor out there. Core 2 Duo/Quad is old and outdated, you should be looking towards Intel's latest range or even AMD. You need to focus more on performance, not cooling, mostly because you can always buy a retail cooler if you find the temeperatures unsatisfactory. You won't need an expensive one either since you don't plan to overclock.

Great, the limiting factor is then the SFF case. I guess I'm looking to fit the best gear in the SG03 that will run cool. I've posted on a couple of boards and it seems that the first build won't have problems with cooling. If that's the case, then I'll likely go i7 since I have the budget for it. Beyond that I guess it's picking a good reliable mobo. Any opinions on reliable manufacturers? Who do you like the best for reliability and customer service?
October 12, 2009 11:08:32 AM

about the psu its a OCZ700GXSSLI GameXStream 700W, a few years old I think.
October 12, 2009 5:02:39 PM

My first choice for motherboards would be either Asus or Gigabyte.

That PSU looks solid, you should definitely consider keeping it if you want to save some money. It should have no problems running your proposed set-up.

!