How are these benchmarks looking? Just making sure its not too hot.

ghostXI

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hello again,

Just completed my first build this week and overclocked my 2500k last night to 4.2 GHz with no voltage changes (just put 42 in the cpu ratio). Running around 53-55C on load/prime95, and around 30C-low 40C on idle post overclock. Originally the CPU was running at around 28C on load at 3.3 GHz. Oh am I running a hyper 212+ evo for CPU cooler. Is this stable? I can still Post and everything runs great. Is it too hot?

Screenshot:

scaled.php

Thanks in advance,
ghostXI

My PC build stats
NZXT Phantom Full tower
Intel 2500k @ 4.2 GHz
Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen 3
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1.5 GB
G. Skill Ripjaws X Series 8 GB
Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 60 GB
Western Digital Caviar Green HDD 750 GB
NZXT HALE-90-850-M 850W Power Supply

plasticslug

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
I would say they look nice and low.

I dont know anything about overclocking as I am still trying to piece it together. i cant see your volts on cpu id...

I have an z68 asus board and I flipped the "Tpu" switch... "overclocking switch" and others have told me its a bad overclock ... as in its not as optimized if I did it myself.

You can use it as a reference. I do seem to idle a bit lower than you, I have the same cooler.
http://i.imgur.com/Bwz1g.png

ghostXI

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Yeah from what I have read the auto-overclock features on some MOBO's are not particularly optimized, if thats what you're referring too. I wanted to do the simplest and most stable overclock I could only changing the multiplier. Your at 4.5GHz right? My voltage is just slightly lower than yours mine is @ 1.320v and 4.2GHz (I know its a little difficult to see in the picture.

Oh and can you get your processor to show 4.5GHz in windows computer system properties? I don't understand why it won't show.

Thanks for the reply.

eklerus

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I have found out running prime for hours doesn't tell me much.
Use Intel burn test if you pass 10 loops standard settings your good to go. If all ok lower the voltage and burn test again if again good lower the voltage.
If you get blue screen and 0x101 = increase vcore .
I keep mine 4.6 GHz push/pull non evo version.
Do not go over 72.5 C Tcase

Tcase is the temperature with direct contact on the surface of your CPU
Tjunction is the temperature calculated through an algorithm which reports the hottest spot on each individual core -like you see in real temp.
Tjunction usually is 15-20 bigger then Tcase so if you see temperatures of 70 C on all of your cores you shouldn't be worried.
In generally speaking cooling your CPU properly will give you a good life expectancy.

4.7 GHz for me was too much of a jump to consider it for 24h use.
You will never reach those temps in prime let alone Intel burn test and if you do some heavy task please watch your fan speed and temperatures.
Good luck

ghostXI

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Well from what Ive read, I may be wrong but I was under the impression that if your going 4.2 or lower for an overclock...it should be safe to keep the voltage on auto. Oh and I did manually overclock, should I just lower the voltage until I get BSOD. Thanks for the reply.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

voltage creates heat and heat along with voltage kill cpu's. so the lower you can keep the voltage the better.

yes try loweering till you get a bsod but try the voltage from 1.225 volts and go from there. if it doesnt boot raise it, if it boots and doesnt blue screen lower it.