I deleted the video drivers on my computer and now i cant see anything

bertal65

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Yes I admit I am an idiot, I was trying to delete few programs to make the computer faster, but I believe I deleted the drivers.
I have 6 monitors, 5 went dead with a message saying no signal, the main monitor all of sudden had big icons on the screen , I tried to make them smaller by going to settings, all of sudden , also went dead given me a message , out of range. If you can advise what to do , really appreciated. Gio

Start your computer. At the first show of life or light on the screen, Poke (not hold) the F8 key repeatedly. You will eventually be given a choice of how you want to start your computer. When the choices appear, use the cursor keys and select "Safe Mode" (no need for networking or command prompt).

The computer Might start up using the default VGA driver again. If it starts, install your video drivers again.

If you cannot install video drivers due to running in safe mode...(assuming it started ok in safe mode)

Go to Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>System Startup>Edit (button)

Add this black colored text to the file you see (boot.ini) at the end of the line showing: "Windows XP Professional"
/basevideo and then save it.

It should end up looking something like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=alwaysoff /fastdetect /basevideo

Restart your computer normally and it should start with the giant icons again. Re-install your video drivers now.

After video drivers are installed, go back to control panel and remove the '/basevideo' command from the boot.ini file or you will always have 640x480 resolution despite drivers being installed.