Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Big Problem After Installing CPU Cooler....

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooling
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2009 4:11:21 AM

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I installed my new Thermalright True Black with two 120mm Cooler Master 90CFM fans in my new cabinet. But that's where my problem begins.

1. After installing the cooler my some of the screws in the motherboard don't fit anymore as the backplate of the CPU Cooler has increased the height of the motherboard a little so the screws don't fit anymore. My motherboard is a little bent from the weight.

2. After putting it all together my CPU doesnt boot. When i switched on my PC for the first time, I got an error at POST saying:
"CPU Fan Error!
Chassis Intruded.
System Halted."

After a few restarts my system doesn't even boot. After pressing the power switch the switching from the cabinet the fans spin for a sec and then stop. After that nothing happens.
Please help.

More about : big problem installing cpu cooler

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2009 8:22:54 AM

Any help guys??? :( 
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 80 V Motherboard
December 29, 2009 8:46:38 AM

which mobo is it?

you do have the little standoff things between your mobo and the mobo tray dont you?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2009 9:08:00 AM

Its an Asus P5Q Pro. The standoffs provided by the motherboard and the CM690 are so small that it doesn't even the reach the hole of the cabinet! :( 
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 80 V Motherboard
December 29, 2009 9:29:08 AM

are they actual standoffs o just dimples in the backplate?

I had similar with my p5b (which is why i asked), after replacing the cpu it needed bios reset to cope with the chassis intrusion issue, i think i had to leave it without battery for a while as well as doing a reset. I found it to be a common issue when searching on the web for that problem, so there might be other tips out there that i've forgotten.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2009 9:33:25 AM

Do you fit standoffs like screws or they are for a fitted differently?
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 80 V Motherboard
December 29, 2009 9:53:05 AM

you'd screw the standoffs into the backplate and then you screw the screws for the mobo through the mobo into the open end of the standoffs. They are typically a brassy colour.

I can't imagine youve got it wrong unless they were just not there.
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 80 V Motherboard
December 29, 2009 10:15:42 AM

by backplate I mean backplate of the case and not of the cooler, there may or may not be a standoff on the cooler.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2009 4:51:11 AM

Thanks for the help. I finally fixed my PC and it working. But the problem is every time i boot, i get this "CPU Fan Error" at BIOS! And I have to press F1 to resume to boot up process. Is it becuase that the stock Intel heat sink is not attached to the motherboard?
December 31, 2009 5:25:10 AM

It sounds like the Boards BIOS is not detecting the FAN so you keep getting the error for some reason.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2009 5:27:52 AM

After installing the CPU Cooler there is no connection of any fan to the motherboard. Because till now only the my E8400's stock cooler was connected to the motherboard to the pin slot! Now since all the 120mm fans are connected to molex of the PSU!
December 31, 2009 5:31:22 AM

Okay. That is the issue. The BIOS is looking for a CPU fan installed and not detecting it. Therefore it is giving you an error message for no Fan working.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2009 5:46:07 AM

Many people use CPU Coolers, would like to know the workaround for this? Someone please suggest.
December 31, 2009 6:01:24 AM

Plug in an extra fan into the boards Fan header. Quick and easy.
a c 146 à CPUs
a c 80 V Motherboard
December 31, 2009 6:36:17 AM

or look into the bios settings for the thermal monitoring area, an you may be able to tell it to ignore the cpu fan.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2009 10:22:40 AM

^ yep you should be able to set cpu fan to "ignore" or something like that
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2009 10:25:12 AM

Ok thanks... will go home and check it out!
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2009 4:45:05 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
Many people use CPU Coolers, would like to know the workaround for this? Someone please suggest.

Many people do use them yes but they also make sure they are still using at least one four pin CPU fan connected to the motherboard header.

The reason you are having a problem is because it's a safety feature built into the board and a good one at that.

This way if the CPU cooling fan stops you will know there is an issue whereas when you use the molex connectors you don't.

You may be able to overcome this in the BIOS as suggested but that still doesn't make it a good idea to do so.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 11:04:20 AM

Can the CPU Cooler fans be attached to the motherboard?
If yes how?
And what are the stock temperatures for E8400 on load and idle?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 3:51:25 PM

How many pins? If three I would put it in a case fan header and set thermal trip in the bios, just in case of a fan failure. Or you could get an adapter, 3 to four pin.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 3:56:26 PM

Oh forgot the other part of your question...

The temperature really depend on the heatsink, ambient temperatures, fan speed, ect.
I would say under 45c for idle and hopefully under 70c for full load.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2010 3:44:47 AM

Mine is at 38 deg to 42 deg on idle. Didn't run the processor on load till now so cant say how much that temperature will be! Thanks. I have installed all the fans to the mobo. Except one, there were no pins left! :D 
December 23, 2010 5:28:50 AM

1st of all, sorry to bump this old Post

but just want to share, if any of Asus's Mobo user got this kind of warning after installing a new Cooler, and getting the "System Fan not detected!" warning at bios window, all you have to do is, go to the BIOS, then go to the Fan Speed Monitor Section, and there should be a CPU Fan Speed at "n/a"

change it to "Ignore"

and F10 to save and exit

the reason is that the Mobo think that the fan is still there, where you already use your own Cooler, so it doesnt detect and gives you that warning

i hope this helps, because many people also asked me for this simple error