Sign in with
Your question

Fan controller that accepts molex powered fans???

Last response: in Overclocking
January 25, 2012 12:22:27 AM

So does anyone know of a fan controller that controls the fans inside the case but instead of having 3/4 pin connectors to the fans, it has molex connectors to the fans. My case has 3 fans that are powered only by molex adapters from the PSU and I would like a fan controller to turn them down cause they are LOUD. I want something that looks like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but accepts molex powered fans... Anyone know if they exist?

-Thanks!
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 12:35:07 AM

you will need 3 pins fans if you want to control speed because molex have 2 connector the power and ground so you cannot control those fan
m
l
January 25, 2012 12:38:25 AM

scout_03 said:
you will need 3 pins fans if you want to control speed because molex have 2 connector the power and ground so you cannot control those fan

I thought the point of the fan controller was to send a varying amount of voltage to the fan to control the fan's speed. More voltage = faster, less voltage = slower. I guess I don't understand why this isn't possible with just two pins? Just send less voltage to the power pin is my thought...
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2012 2:45:06 AM

the controller you linked to comes with the adaptor cables you would need to make it work. good luck
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 2:48:33 AM

@deadlee 690 he just want to control fan connected on molex
m
l
January 25, 2012 3:07:27 AM

hum, i know. i don't understand what the problem is. you can control any fan speed using a potentiometer which is all a fan controller is, am i missing something here?
m
l
January 25, 2012 3:14:52 AM

That second one looks like it's the type of item I need, that first one isn't, the fans need 3 or 4 pin connectors for the first one.
m
l
January 25, 2012 3:21:03 AM

most fan controllers come with the cables you need to use with 3 or 4 pin fans. if you look at the picture you linked to on newegg you can see the cables are 4 pin to 3 pin. the 3 pin side goes to the controller and the 4 pin side goes to the fan, good luck
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 3:24:36 AM

that the only one i found on the net
m
l
January 25, 2012 7:37:54 PM

I've been using the NZXT sentry. It's got dual connectors, and works like a charm in my uses. Not to mention it's nice bling for you PC lol...

Was great to have especially because my old Antec 300 case fans were LOUD.
m
l
!