16 bit ms-dos subsystem error msg

I use an old ms-dos program for my biz. I loaded it on my
new computer. It came up but didn't like the win modem. I
tried playing with it but wouldn't fly. after a few
weeks, I put a u.s.r. modem in it. But when I went back
to try to enter the program I get the msg:
16 bit ms-dos subsystem
c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt The sysstem file is not
suitable for running ms-dos or windows programs.
It has an option to ignore, but dosen't. Tried system
restores and reloading all drivers but dosen't fix it.
Help! I'm loosing business.

"jim garner" <jim@jimgarner.com> wrote:

>I use an old ms-dos program for my biz. I loaded it on my
>new computer. It came up but didn't like the win modem. I
>tried playing with it but wouldn't fly. after a few
>weeks, I put a u.s.r. modem in it. But when I went back
>to try to enter the program I get the msg:
>16 bit ms-dos subsystem
>c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt The sysstem file is not
>suitable for running ms-dos or windows programs.

See "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit
Windows Based Program" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767).

--
(tm)

I am having the same problems and have read all these posts and tryed all the
fixes and nothing has helped. I can't reload the old programs that ran a few
weeks ago OK and they are Windows based. I have recently ran Adaware and a
reg clean program.

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "jim garner" <jim@jimgarner.com> wrote:
>
> >I use an old ms-dos program for my biz. I loaded it on my
> >new computer. It came up but didn't like the win modem. I
> >tried playing with it but wouldn't fly. after a few
> >weeks, I put a u.s.r. modem in it. But when I went back
> >to try to enter the program I get the msg:
> >16 bit ms-dos subsystem
> >c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt The sysstem file is not
> >suitable for running ms-dos or windows programs.
>
> See "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit
> Windows Based Program" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767).
>
> --
> (tm)

So why don't you post the file. There is a spate of this but so many of the idiots here think a link to a kb is relevent. You and your fellow travellers, with the idiots help, can continue giving magic things to try or you can diagnose the bloody problem.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"rcberry" <rcberry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D9735A8-25D7-4D38-89B7-14B1F90478BF@microsoft.com...
> I am having the same problems and have read all these posts and tryed all the
> fixes and nothing has helped. I can't reload the old programs that ran a few
> weeks ago OK and they are Windows based. I have recently ran Adaware and a
> reg clean program.
>
> "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
>
> > "jim garner" <jim@jimgarner.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I use an old ms-dos program for my biz. I loaded it on my
> > >new computer. It came up but didn't like the win modem. I
> > >tried playing with it but wouldn't fly. after a few
> > >weeks, I put a u.s.r. modem in it. But when I went back
> > >to try to enter the program I get the msg:
> > >16 bit ms-dos subsystem
> > >c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt The sysstem file is not
> > >suitable for running ms-dos or windows programs.
> >
> > See "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit
> > Windows Based Program" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767).
> >
> > --
> > (tm)

I found the problem on this computer. Everytime I boot up or re-boot
something is deleting the Autoexec.nt file from my C:\winxp\System32 folder.
If I replace it after a boot all is working ok. I have changed the
Autoexec.nt files attribute from archived to read-only in hopes it won't get
deleted again. If you go to this link you can get the new Autoexec.nt,
Command.com and Config.nt files for easy install. Now it's Microsofts turn to
find out what is deleting this file.

http://www.webuser.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=tips&Number=92053&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&part=

Ron Berry

"David Candy" wrote:

> So why don't you post the file. There is a spate of this but so many of the idiots here think a link to a kb is relevent. You and your fellow travellers, with the idiots help, can continue giving magic things to try or you can diagnose the bloody problem.

> 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
>
> "rcberry" <rcberry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D9735A8-25D7-4D38-89B7-14B1F90478BF@microsoft.com...
> > I am having the same problems and have read all these posts and tryed all the
> > fixes and nothing has helped. I can't reload the old programs that ran a few
> > weeks ago OK and they are Windows based. I have recently ran Adaware and a
> > reg clean program.

> > > See "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit
> > > Windows Based Program" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767).
> > >
> > > --
> > > (tm)

Hmm. I note that the post in the link states that a lot of people don't
have the CD from which to extract the necessary files. I wonder why?

> I found the problem on this computer. Everytime I boot up or re-boot
> something is deleting the Autoexec.nt file from my C:\winxp\System32
folder.
> If I replace it after a boot all is working ok. I have changed the
> Autoexec.nt files attribute from archived to read-only in hopes it won't
get
> deleted again. If you go to this link you can get the new Autoexec.nt,
> Command.com and Config.nt files for easy install. Now it's Microsofts turn
> find out what is deleting this file.

http://www.webuser.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=tips&Number=92053&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&part=

> Ron Berry
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
> > So why don't you post the file. There is a spate of this but so many of
the idiots here think a link to a kb is relevent. You and your fellow
travellers, with the idiots help, can continue giving magic things to try or
you can diagnose the bloody problem.

> > --
> > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
> >
> > "rcberry" <rcberry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am having the same problems and have read all these posts and tryed
all the
> > > fixes and nothing has helped. I can't reload the old programs that ran
a few
> > > weeks ago OK and they are Windows based. I have recently ran Adaware
and a
> > > reg clean program.

I have the original disk but I could not copy and paste the files from the
CD. It didn't work. Appearently you have to expand them from the CD-Rom but
from the command window it did not reconnize my E: drive thats why I got them
already expanded off the internet. Maybe others are having trouble
understanding the expand thing or copy and paste problem. I'm not a computer
wizard like some of you are. I'm just trying to help those who need it.

"Bill Hewitt" wrote:

> Hmm. I note that the post in the link states that a lot of people don't
> have the CD from which to extract the necessary files. I wonder why?
>

> "rcberry" <rcberry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I found the problem on this computer. Everytime I boot up or re-boot
> > something is deleting the Autoexec.nt file from my C:\winxp\System32
> folder.
> > If I replace it after a boot all is working ok. I have changed the
> > Autoexec.nt files attribute from archived to read-only in hopes it won't
> get
> > deleted again. If you go to this link you can get the new Autoexec.nt,
> > Command.com and Config.nt files for easy install. Now it's Microsofts turn
> > find out what is deleting this file.
> >

> http://www.webuser.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=tips&Number=92053&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&part=
> >
> > Ron Berry
> >

> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> > > So why don't you post the file. There is a spate of this but so many of
> the idiots here think a link to a kb is relevent. You and your fellow
> travellers, with the idiots help, can continue giving magic things to try or
> you can diagnose the bloody problem.
> > >
> > > --
> > > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> > > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
> > >
> > > "rcberry" <rcberry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> all the
> a few
> and a

Type "auditing files" in help. With Read Only any intelligent program will just make it non read only and delete. Auditing will allow you to find what program is doing it.

Note Auditing MUST be turnied on, then the file needs to be set for auditing.

Because it is affecting many people recently there will be a virus, spywear, or a program update of some sort causing it.

"rcberry" <rcberry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F9E1342-C653-4492-9973-627F14691CE9@microsoft.com...
> I found the problem on this computer. Everytime I boot up or re-boot
> something is deleting the Autoexec.nt file from my C:\winxp\System32 folder.
> If I replace it after a boot all is working ok. I have changed the
> Autoexec.nt files attribute from archived to read-only in hopes it won't get
> deleted again. If you go to this link you can get the new Autoexec.nt,
> Command.com and Config.nt files for easy install. Now it's Microsofts turn to
> find out what is deleting this file.
>
> http://www.webuser.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=tips&Number=92053&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&part=
>
> Ron Berry
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
> > So why don't you post the file. There is a spate of this but so many of the idiots here think a link to a kb is relevent. You and your fellow travellers, with the idiots help, can continue giving magic things to try or you can diagnose the bloody problem.
> >
> > --
> > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
> >
> > "rcberry" <rcberry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D9735A8-25D7-4D38-89B7-14B1F90478BF@microsoft.com...
> > > I am having the same problems and have read all these posts and tryed all the
> > > fixes and nothing has helped. I can't reload the old programs that ran a few
> > > weeks ago OK and they are Windows based. I have recently ran Adaware and a
> > > reg clean program.

I found the problem with the help from my computer geek friend. There is a
program called windupdate.exe not winupdate.exe that has been put into my
computer by something. Go to Program Files\WindUpdate folder and delete it.
Go to your registry and delete anything with the name WindUpdate and your all
set to go. I found that that program was deleting my Autoexec.nt file
everytime I booted. Now all is well!
Good Luck!