Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Corrupt files/Windows from unlocking Phenom IIs?

Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2009 5:39:02 AM

What exactly happens? i've unlocked my 720 be, but i put it back to tri-core, since i heard about the possibliy of corrupting Windows itself...

how does that work? window gets corrupted by some false calculations or what?

any examples? :o 
a c 127 à CPUs
December 29, 2009 5:52:36 AM

If you are unlucky enough to have a actual bad quad and unlock that bad 4th core then if its used by Windows the file could become corrupted since it would be giving incorrect data.

Once that happens it would be a matter of time before the Windows system files go bad and you get BSoD all the time.
m
l
December 29, 2009 5:55:12 AM

ok... my unlocked 720 seems ok at stock voltage and speed, and did a 45 min prime95 blend test and it did that fine... but i gotta be sure, cannot fathom to reinstall everything.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2009 4:29:55 PM

Then it would be a good idea to make a proper backup of your system. I usually like to have an image after a clean install so I can just slap that back on should anything go wrong. If you can pass prime 95 for an extended period of time with the core unlocked as well as complete other stress tests, then you should be o.k. though.
m
l
a c 106 à CPUs
December 29, 2009 5:19:34 PM

45mins of Prime45 isn't enough, stress all 4 cores for 6 hours and see if it falls over, if not, your a lucky boy.
m
l
December 29, 2009 5:50:55 PM

how do i stress my 4th core only on prime 95? or do i have to stress all 4?
m
l
January 5, 2010 8:43:34 PM

ah screw it, the 4th core BSODs at window start-up on 1.47 volts, oh well...
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2010 7:00:35 AM

jimmysmitty said:
If you are unlucky enough to have a actual bad quad and unlock that bad 4th core then if its used by Windows the file could become corrupted since it would be giving incorrect data.

Once that happens it would be a matter of time before the Windows system files go bad and you get BSoD all the time.

Jimmy,

I would really discourage this sort of stuff... It nearly always ends in tears when some one tinkers in what to them is the unknown.

If you do get a tri core which works as a quad and is unstable then whats the point of that.

I cant believe that people want to try this stuff when clearly so much could go wrong when they have little in the first place..

Oh well maybe its just me..

m
l

Best solution

a c 117 à CPUs
January 6, 2010 1:21:26 PM

Chronobodi said:
ah screw it, the 4th core BSODs at window start-up on 1.47 volts, oh well...

Phenom 720BE Operating Voltages: 0.850-1.425v

This thread is full of Fail (and desperation).

Perhaps the OP will explain where he 'heard' that unlocking an AMD microprocessor corrupts the Windows OS ?

When you unlock and run Prime, LinX, OCCT, etc., you are testing for stability and system operation. When you pass the stress test(s) of your choosing you will determine the viability of the system for daily operation.

Yes. There are bad cores and cache that will not successfully unlock. It is unscientific but the best guide for success thus far is at XS and the success rate is 70%. Is that a guarantee that your unlock will be successful? No.

The suggestion that an unlocked AMD microprocessor will corrupt Windows has no basis in fact. Period.

Windows has an easy enough time corrupting itself without help from AMD ----- :lol: 

January 6, 2010 3:31:38 PM

ok.... the voltage is a bit high, but is it ok 24/7 for 3.6 ghz? it's cooled by a xigmatek cobra, idle temps are 29c...
(in triple core mode)
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2010 3:54:09 PM

Wisecracker said:
Phenom 720BE Operating Voltages: 0.850-1.425v

This thread is full of Fail (and desperation).

Perhaps the OP will explain where he 'heard' that unlocking an AMD microprocessor corrupts the Windows OS ?

When you unlock and run Prime, LinX, OCCT, etc., you are testing for stability and system operation. When you pass the stress test(s) of your choosing you will determine the viability of the system for daily operation.

Yes. There are bad cores and cache that will not successfully unlock. It is unscientific but the best guide for success thus far is at XS and the success rate is 70%. Is that a guarantee that your unlock will be successful? No.

The suggestion that an unlocked AMD microprocessor will corrupt Windows has no basis in fact. Period.

Windows has an easy enough time corrupting itself without help from AMD ----- :lol: 

Exactly ! - I have a 720 running at 3.0GHz. and a stable 4th core unlocked and have had no problems after a month of daily use (AMD at times runs batches of perfectly good chips and disables a core just to fulfill the demand for the chips if they do not have enough failed chips in the bin to fill it - so of course it is Hit\miss but there are perfectly good chips out there !!) - The only real way it could corrupt your Windows install is the same as with any CPU if you were playing with settings and push something too far and it becomes unstable causing a BSOD making you power cycle the system to reboot instead of shutting down properly (which can happen with any system for numerous reasons !) but that is simple enough to recover from by either running system restore or a repair install from the OS installation disk if Windows doesn't automatically recover by itself. ( and as noted avoiding this is the reason for running the stress tests in the first place to ensure it is stable ! )
m
l
!