Suggestions for new MB

sentry

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hey all, looking for suggestions on a decent MB to go along with a new athlon xII 440 cpu. Only catch is I have 8gb of ddr2 800 ram Id like to reuse rather than buy new ddr 3 ram right now.

Solution
Ok, that's a good mobo. But, for only $5 more you can get this ASUS M4A77TD that support DDR3 and your processor.

Why I suggest to you that re-sell your DDR2?, because when you want install DDR3 RAM, youl would need change your mobo again, because DDR3 RAM don't fit on DDR2 slots.
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- What is your budget?
2- Can you re-sell your DDR2 RAM?
2- You can get a mobo that support your processor and DDR2, but when you want upgrade to DDR3, you will need change your mobo too.

Ok, that's a good mobo. But, for only $5 more you can get this ASUS M4A77TD that support DDR3 and your processor.

Why I suggest to you that re-sell your DDR2?, because when you want install DDR3 RAM, youl would need change your mobo again, because DDR3 RAM don't fit on DDR2 slots.

Solution

sentry

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Thanks for the info guys. Im torn on the RAM situation, new RAM will exceed my budget right now, but how much of a performance increas would I really see with DDR3 vs DDR2 in games like LOTRO and WoW?