BIX III vs Magicool Extreme 360mm rads

I just have a bit of a general question. I'm slowly looking at costs/planning for adding a 3x120mm rad to cool my 5850s. I'm thinking I might as well get a nice thick rad instead of those slim ones, so it seems like the Black Ice Xtreme III and the Magicool Extreme are the two of choice.

Dimensions are very close, BIX III is 397x133x40mm, the Magicool is 396x120x46mm.

The total loop would be:
Swiftech Edge 220 res/rad/pump (MCP35x)
MCW82 on 5850
MCW82 on 5850
BIXIII or Magicool Extreme
Apogee XTL on i5 750

I'm also looking at getting an air box with either 3 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1300rpm, or 3 Zalman Shark's Fin fans. The triple rad would be either rear or top mounted, external. Speaking of which, I have the Swiftech radbox that came with the Edge kit, but it hinders exhaust air from the case a lot. I saw an image of a metal one somewhere, but I can't seem to find a selection of rad boxes... any thoughts? I might just make my own brackets and drill some holes for top mounting above my 200mm exhaust fan.

Total price would be around $300 with shipping costs for everything I need... well, an extra $50-60 if I want to buy the full 5850 heat sink blocks but I'm ok for now on that end.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'd personally go with the Magicool Extreme- a bit more total volume and surface area, but this can be arguable vs. the higher FPI of BIX rads. Either way, it's too close to call and would work well.

Silence means different things to different people, so a very subjective topic. How silent is silent to you?

Well, in terms of decibels I wouldn't have a clue. Currently my fans are all running 1300rpm, so basically you do hear a little air movement but that is all. I'm happy with it for now.

At one time though I had a filter directly on a side fan, and the sound of it sucking air was super loud unless I reduced the speed so much that it was useless. Without the filter though it was almost silent right up to like 1800rpm. So basically I'm a little worried the high FPI will act like that filter. But maybe the radiator shroud will negate that anyway?

EDIT: To expand on this, my pump is the loudest thing in my case when it spins up to 50% speed. Normally it's at 20% though so can't hear it then :)

Ok well the whole sound issue I'll have to think about.

So performance should be relatively similar, and lower FPI should be quieter, then the only other thing is the Magicool is also narrower by 13mm, which will help it fit into a case later on. Sounds like that's the one to get.

It won't be for a while, but that Cosmos II is damn sexy!