Solved

Partial Upgrade. Advice?

I am currently planning on upgrading my rigs CPU and GPU. Anyways, here is the system I will have:

New Items:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX - Retail

GPU: XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card ... - Retail

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Old Items of Importance:

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retailx2 (so 8g)

PSU: PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power ... - Retail

Things to note:

The case is required to house the 5870 without problems. I know that the RAM, although old DDR2 is listed as tested and compatible with that mobo. I eventually plan to upgrade to DDR3, but I want to wait till triple channel is supported for AMD. I also don't think that the RAM will have a huge impact on the performance I see in games, except load time. Though if anyone has any idea how much FPS I will generally lose due to it, let me know. From my research it seems like around 3-5, which is negligible and honestly not worth upgrading my RAM at the moment.

Questions:

1. Will my PSU support the mobo and/or card.
2. How much will my RAM bottleneck my system. In what terms.
3. Suggestions? Anything else you notice that might be problematic?

If you would like more information, please let me know and I will supply it ASAP.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about partial upgrade advice
  1. Best answer
    Everything will work fine, the PSU has plenty of connectors however it cannot support 2 5870s so make sure to upgrade before getting a second a card. Consider the HAF 932 as well, it has a different look from the antec 1200, larger fans so it will be quieter, and a different internal layout. Both are very large roomy cases.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160
    If you are waiting for AMD processor to support triple channel memory you will be waiting a long long time. The LGA 1366 socket only supported it because it is intended for memory intensive server application, not gaming. The effects of dual vs triple channel ram is not significant.
  2. Thanks for your response hunter315.

I was actually looking at the case as well. I still have not decided. I know that both are big enough to fit the 5870. So do you agree with my assessment that my DDR2 800 will not have a larger effect than maybe 2-5 FPS on my gaming? I use this PC for A TON more than gaming (3d modeling, virtual environments). I just use gaming as my benchmarking. I don't really have problems with my RAMs speed atm, though I wasn't positive the effect it would have on a new system like this.

Also, I am glad to hear that my PSU will support my mobo and card. I though it would looking at all the specs, but I am not a tech genius and I didn't want to miss anything. I also wasn't sure if I had all the connectors required to support both, though I planned on making sure before I ordered lol.
  3. Thanks zipzoomflyhigl.

Basically because it is a pain finding a good board that has 2 PCI slots, and all the connections are in good locations for the ginormous HD 5870. So many boards I have been looking at have the sata and ide slots in terrible locations. I know they wouldn't work with my sound card, tuner and the HD5870. If you have any suggestions for a board let me know...

Though, like I said, from my research, the RAM I have would be such a small bottleneck on the performance that it doesn't seem likely I will even upgrade them until I get a whole new GPU and CPU in a year or two anyways. However, I am still waiting on an answer for that particular subject.
  4. If you dont want so huge of a case, the 5870 will fit in an antec 900 (with 5 or less internal drives). The HAF 922 is almost as big as the 932 and deeper than the 900 so it should hold one also.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product