knifearefun

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
The AMD bracket only allows for my Xiggy's Darkknight to be pointed towards the top of my case. Does anyone know where I can get a AMD bracket that will allow me to make the cooler face towards my exhaust fan!? If you can find one please give me a link I'm working on a new build and the cpu cooler is going into my first 2 ram slots of my mobo!!!!

Solution
Check out this adapter plate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708046

Here is a comment by 1 user:
Works Great

white Reviewed By: FatalSaint on 11/5/2009
Rating + 5
Tech Level Tech Level: somewhat high - Ownership: 1 day to 1 week
This user purchased this item from Newegg

Pros: Gave this 5 stars because this is one of the only available options to mounting the aftermarket HSF's vertically on an AM3 system. Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V mounted fine on an MSI 770-C45 motherboard with all memory slots accessible and blowing air out the rear exhaust. On my case, the airflow wouldn't have mattered as there is exhaust on the top and rear, but I had to have my memory slots accessible as I have...

knifearefun

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
Thanks for posting so quickly, however I don't belive a newbie like myself will be able to figure that out :), do you happen to know where the is a plastic or metal one I can just screw in?
Again thanks for posting so quickly ;)

Check out this adapter plate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708046

Here is a comment by 1 user:
Works Great

white Reviewed By: FatalSaint on 11/5/2009
Rating + 5
Tech Level Tech Level: somewhat high - Ownership: 1 day to 1 week
This user purchased this item from Newegg

Pros: Gave this 5 stars because this is one of the only available options to mounting the aftermarket HSF's vertically on an AM3 system. Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V mounted fine on an MSI 770-C45 motherboard with all memory slots accessible and blowing air out the rear exhaust. On my case, the airflow wouldn't have mattered as there is exhaust on the top and rear, but I had to have my memory slots accessible as I have some of the biggest RAM ever - see other thoughts.
Cons: I was disappointed by the fact that you literally get *just* what you see in the picture. The bracket/mount, that's it. Oh, and 4 screws for the backplate. No nuts however, to tighten down the LGA775 mounts to the 4 really tiny screws that stick up from the mounting bracket. So it gives you 4 tiny screws, pre-installed into the mounting base, and no way to attach anything to them. Eh? I ended up using the 4 nuts that happen to come with a Thermaltake 120mm FAN that I had mounted on my side window and couldn't use anymore (since my cooler blocked that area).
Other Thoughts: I didn't do it the way Some Guy said, probably would have been easier but I had found a forum that included pictures where someone had used a 4" grinder to remove the small "lip" that is on the LGA775 mounting brackets, so I went over to a neighbors house and did that. It's not that difficult, but it is a pain to have to do. So you remove the lip, mount the LGA775 brackets facing down to the 'top' of the HSF's base, and use tiny nuts to tighten it down to the top of the CPU. Moral of the story here I guess is: There's multiple ways to get this to work for your HSF on an AM3 system...... but all of them require modification of some kind (snipping the springs, or grinding the brackets).

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0ghz OC 3.65ghz
MSI 770-C45 Motherboard
4GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR3 1600 (BIG MEMORY)
Cooler Master UCP 700W
Cooler Master Storm Scout Case
SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 4890 870mhz OC Edition
Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283 CPU Cooler

Looks like your problem is pretty common, and to get around it your are going to have to roll your sleeves up and do at least some minor modding.
Or, get a different cooler.

Solution