Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hard disk drive/CD-ROM/DVD Options - ThinkPad 570E( or 600..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 4, 2004 10:43:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Shirley,, more beer for the troops,, looks like they're getting thirsty.

1)Has anyone tried using the Ultra Slim Bay hd adapter in a 600E?? The FRU list shows it belongs to
the 570E and not the 600 series,, but it looks right... FRU 05K5338, PN 05K5337 The idea appeals to
me,, you mount the new drive, format, mirror your system,, then switch'em around..

2)Because the adapter is used on the cdrom/diskette side of the IDE/ata chip set,, should it not be
slow??

Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 4, 2004 12:57:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> 1)Has anyone tried using the Ultra Slim Bay hd adapter in a 600E??
> The FRU list shows it belongs to the 570E and not the 600 series,,
> but it looks right... FRU 05K5338, PN 05K5337 The idea appeals to
> me,, you mount the new drive, format, mirror your system,, then
> switch'em around..

It's the right part.

> 2)Because the adapter is used on the cdrom/diskette side of the
> IDE/ata chip set,, should it not be slow??

No, it runs at the same speed as the primary drive.

To do it right with the second hard drive adapter, you should also get a
drive mounting tray from Bill Morrow:

http://www.thinkpads.com/prod04.htm

The one you want is the first one listed; be sure to let Bill know it's for
a TP600 and not a newer model. Here's a bigger picture of the tray:

http://www.thinkpads.com/HDDBracket.jpg

You can put a bare drive in the second hard drive adapter, but it is a loose
fit held in place only by the IDE connector. The drive fits much more
securely if you attach the mounting tray to the drive first. If you don't
use the mounting tray, then at the very least you should cut a piece of thin
cardboard to fit the bottom of the second drive adapter and put the drive on
top of that. This will insulate the circuit board at the bottom of the drive
from the metal in the adapter.

But since you are planning on swapping the drives around, you should really
get the mounting tray. If you don't, you will have to remove the tray from
your main drive and attach it to the new drive when you swap them. The tray
is attached not only with four screws but with sticky tape as well.

-Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 4, 2004 3:00:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Shirley,, more beer for the troops,, looks like they're getting thirsty.
>
> 1)Has anyone tried using the Ultra Slim Bay hd adapter in a 600E??

Yup yup! Bought one on eBay a few weeks ago.



> The FRU list shows it belongs to
> the 570E and not the 600 series,, but it looks right... FRU 05K5338, PN 05K5337

Yep, that's EXACTLY what it says on mine.



> The idea appeals to
> me,, you mount the new drive, format, mirror your system,, then switch'em around..

Oh yeah. HDD "racks" are real neato devices to have around, whether for
laptops or desktops. It's by far the best option for making THOROUGH
backups, IMO.


>
> 2)Because the adapter is used on the cdrom/diskette side of the IDE/ata chip set,, should it not be
> slow??

I wouldn't know. I just boot off a floppy, run my cloning software and
go do some work on my desktop while the backup is running. "Speed" (or
the potential lack of it) doesn't realy matter to me.


>
> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head,
> In the Conch Republic,
> Just South of Reality
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 5, 2004 12:37:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks EM & Mike
I'm looking...
Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality
!