Gaming CPU - Which One Should I Get?

acidischemical

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
*NOTE, I know I have written a lot, you do not need to try and help me in every aspect, and most of my writing are details, NOTE*

Alrighty, I've decided to make my own gaming PC, I may or may not do it. I am looking to gather some information and at this point I want to know how I can combine different CPU's with motherboards and GPU's.

I have a keen eye on the "Core i7-920" CPU, but I spotted a "Core i7-960" CPU, which is a newer version of the "920".

The 960 seems to be about twice the price of the 920, and the only difference I know of the two is that the 920 has a "mult X 20" and the 960 has a "mult X 24". As you can guess, I'm not very experienced, I think the "mult" is the Bus of the CPU?

I still have my eye on the 920, as it is half the price of the 960, and only lacks the bus by 4notches.

I want to know if that makes a difference at all? Perhaps it's a no biggy, but still something you could notice lacking with the 920?

Also, what type of motherboard/GPU could I use with the 920/960?

The type of games I want to run are fast paced games. like FPS/Action/A few RPG/MMORPG (maybe)/Racing.

Those sorts, where the better your computer is, the better you can play the game.

Another thing is, I went on "Can you rune it" and it said my CPU/GPU doesn't have a vertex shader.
Does the 920/960 have these?

acidischemical

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

How much more faster is it? But I'm still leaning towards the 920.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=47&p2=45

(core i7 965 is the closest cpu to the core i7 960)

For gaming, the core i7 has more power than it's needed. most games can only use 2 thread of the 8 threads the i7 has.

Scene gaming is more gpu dependent than cpu, A powerful gpu will be needed. Scene the core i7 the most powerful consumer cpus (at the moment in time), they can run any gpu the avalible today. The recommenced gpu is the Radon HD 5870, although the 5850 is just as good.

acidischemical

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

Ahh, well that explains quite a lot to me, thanks!

So, the CPU doesn't affect the Frames P/s I can achieve, the GPU does that. So the reason you'd want a powerful CPU is to handle a fairly powerful GPU?
I don't want to build a computer for gaming/browsing the net only. I want it to be capable to rendering true HD 1080P videos on Vegas (which can take a few hours!) and for it to load changes made on heavyweight programs. (like Photoshop / Macromedia Flash 8)

And can someone suggest where to look for GPU's? I know NVIDIA have a wid-, err.... unnecessary HUGE range of cards.
They just have hundreds of GeForces and what-nots, I can't tell which is for gaming and which is for other things.

I'll sniff around for the Radon HD 5870 you suggest, thanks ^.^

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Well yes you can overclock the 920 to reach the speed of the 1,000+ dollar CPUS but nobody here took into consideration the multipliers of the uber cpus such as the extreme editions. If you think you can OC the 920 far.... wait till you OC the x editions. Those things are monsters. Sure, all the Intel line cpus are the same just different voltage rating depending on the manufacturing process but those EE chips are no joke. Worth the price IF you oc them.