Sign in with
Your question

Antec 430w basiq power enough for AMD Athlon II X4 620 ?

Last response: in Components
December 29, 2009 4:34:17 PM

MSI 785GM-E51 (using on board graphics)
4gb ram
2x500gb f3 raid
dvd drive
couple fans
wifi card

will this psu be enough?
a c 288 ) Power supply
a b À AMD
December 29, 2009 4:47:41 PM

the basiq lineup aside from the new BP500 isnt of the best quality, it would be plenty to power the given components and wouldnt blow up on you so yes it would be fine, however if you are buying off of newegg consider the 400CX instead as it actually comes out cheaper after shipping and before MIR.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 29, 2009 7:12:33 PM

i live in the UK so its not as cheap as in the US because we dont get any rebates so i will probably just get the antec one. thanks for the reply
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2009 9:29:32 PM

I have a Corsair CX400 powering a Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition, 4GB Patriot Sector 5 Viper II and a Radeon 5770 and it's more than fine. I paid £40 for it and it's worth the few quid more over the Antec.
a c 92 ) Power supply
a b À AMD
December 30, 2009 3:15:23 AM

Why do people keep saying the Basiq line is crap? Its not the most efficient, nor is it the quietest, but they will work without blowing up. (unless you get a bad one of course.) I'm not saying its better then the Corsair, but if you only have X money and the basiq is something you can buy then do so. not everyone lives in the USA, and the basiq is a lot better then some other PSUs out there.
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 30, 2009 10:34:13 AM

4745454b said:
Why do people keep saying the Basiq line is crap?
... and the basiq is a lot better then some other PSUs out there.

I agree. The Basiq line is not crap. And it undoubtedly is better than a lot of the other PSU's out there. I just think than Antec cut too many corners to hit the price point. OTOH, if Antec hadn't, I guess they'd be calling it "Earthwatts". :) 

a c 92 ) Power supply
a b À AMD
December 30, 2009 10:38:37 AM

Now I remember you. I've asked you this before, what corners did they cut? You keep saying that, but you've never said. The basiq line is just that, basic. If you want something fancy you'd be getting an earthwatts, or a Corsair, etc. (If you want fancy highend thats what the Signature line and others are for.)
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 31, 2009 4:24:03 AM

4745454b said:
Now I remember you. I've asked you this before, what corners did they cut? You keep saying that, but you've never said.

Yep, that's me, I guess. This is the first time I have seen your question. I work in Saudi Arabia, so I am about 8 hours out of sync with the U.S. That explains the sometimes weird timestamps on my posts.

Let's see. Where do I start?

I read the test report for the updated 500 watt Basiq from HardwareSecrets in October. Impressive - particularly for an economy PSU. But to my knowledge, the rest of the Basiq line has not been updated.

My first Antec - After the first S478 P4 Celerons were introduced (7 or 8 years ago?), I built a low spec computer (integrated graphics) for my wife. Went down to the local Best Buy and bought a 400 watt Antec PSU (the 300's and 350's were out of stock). That's all the box said, no special model, just "400 watt PSU". PSU ran flawlessly until the onboard video chip died last year.

Replacement build - Gigabyte G41, E5200, 4 GB RAM, and Corsair 400CX, same case. Kept the Antec as a spare. Interestingly enough, the two PSU's weigh about the same.

Backtrack a few years: I brought back an Antec 650 watt TP3 for one of my systems here, then a year later, a 550 watt TP3 (both bought on sale). Both worked very well. BTW, ThermalTake is considered an upper-end PSU here.

I built another low spec system (P4 Celeron, integrated video) for a friend. Chose a 430 watt Basiq. PSU failed after less than two years. Honestly, I figured that it was just the luck of the draw. Anyway, I was curious ...

I took it apart with no real expectation of repairing it. Checked the diodes and transistors just in case I could repair it. I was not going to take the time to generate schematics by reverse engineering it. Found disappointingly small heatsinks and, subjectively I admit, a lower quality of build than I was used to seeing in Antec PSU's.

My qualifications for such an assessment: 45 years experience in field and depot maintenance of military communication systems and radar and computer systems.

4745454b said:
If you want something fancy you'd be getting an earthwatts, or a Corsair, etc. (If you want fancy highend thats what the Signature line and others are for.)

Yes, indeed. And I pretty much said so just before your last post.
a c 92 ) Power supply
a b À AMD
December 31, 2009 6:00:30 AM

I did see that, perhaps the nicest thing I've seen you say about the Basiq line. When you say something like "cut to many corners" however, I expect that you can at least name one or two that were cut. Small heatsinks could be one, sub par components could be another. 1 PSU that failed after 2 years in Sudia heat wouldn't indicate a bad line. TT does make good PSUs so I'm not surprised they are considered "high end". They also make horrible PSUs, so homework is needed before you buy.

Athena power is still junk over there right?
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 31, 2009 6:07:12 AM

4745454b said:
1 PSU that failed after 2 years in Sudia heat wouldn't indicate a bad line.

We have air conditioning here in some places. :) 

Let's put it this way. CoolMax is considered a better than average brand.
a c 92 ) Power supply
a b À AMD
December 31, 2009 6:48:25 AM

Ouch.
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 31, 2009 11:00:31 AM

jsc said:
CoolMax is considered a better than average brand.
Sad :( 
!