iso50

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I have been running three Vertex 2's on a Highpoint PCI RAID card in RAID0 for a while now and am looking to upgrade. Anybody know which of the setups below would yield the best read/writes for large files? (Mostly Photoshop swap files, usually around 65GB)

1. Two Vertex 3 120's on the motherboard's RAID0 (let's say on a Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z)

2. Two Vertex 3 120's on a dedicated RAID0 PCI card

3. A Revodrive 3 (NOT X2, too expensive) 250GB.

I was always under the impression that the RAID capabilities built into a motherboard were in some way inferior (software assisted?) to dedicated PCI RAID cards. Is this wrong? Are some MoBo's RAID capabilities better than others?

Thanks

Depends on the card and mobo in question. Are we talking about PCI or PCI Express (PCIe)? SSD's will cap out a PCI card instantly, so you shouldn't be using one of those for SSD's.

Add in HBA's tend to be of higher quality in on-board ones, this isn't always true though. They also provide the added benefit of being able to migrate from one motherboard to another without needing to install MS windows.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
a descreate PCIe dedicated RAID card WITH a dedicated processor and cache will generally beat the performance on any onboard raid controller. The onbaord controllers generally offload a lot of calculations ot the CPU with RAID 5 etc. In realy world use at home, you'll be hard pressed to see th edifference though unless you run parity RAID (RAID 5, 6)

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
2 x Vertex 3 MAX IOPS on that mobo will be the best bet due to the excellent Intel caching and faster incompressible write speeds(I know the data flow because I use those programs on this raided workstation.

Reads will be 1GB/s and writes will be close to 600 with incompressible data/900 with compressible data.