Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Build, I'm New to Raid, Whats my Best Solution

Last response: in Storage
Share
August 22, 2011 10:29:45 PM

This is the rig I am putting together.

Purpose: Gaming, FRAPS (Video Capture, Hi-Quality raw footage, Video editing/Encoding, Graphic/Webdesign, etc..

I've read around, and still cannot come up with a proper configuration. For fraps, which takes CPU processing power and a lot of Hard Drive writing power, what setup IS best for performance and redundancy? My OS, some games, and apps will be loaded onto the SSD. But for video capture what is the best way to do this? I want to be able to recover files, incase of hard drive failure. There is going to be a lot of video footage.

So far I'm thinking for capturing video is to put 2x500GB WD Black drive in Raid0 and have a 1TB as a storage backup.
Or even 4x500GBWD drives in Raid10. I'm just not sure how I want to do this. I want to spend the least amount possible but also have the space, and protection I need for these precious files.

Could someone help point me in the right direction?


CASE: Cooler Master Haf 932

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

SSD: Crucial M4 SSD Micron C400 128GB

HD's: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Processor

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 580 Fermi 772MHZ 1536MB

Power Supply: OCZ Z-SERIES 1000W 80+ Gold Certified 24PIN ATX 83A 12V Afc Modular Power Supply W/ 135mm Fan

CPU Cooler Antec Kuhler H20 620 Liquid CPU Cooling System LGA775/1155/1156/1366 AM2/AM3/AM3/FM1 + 2000RPM

I guess I should add this system will be running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
a b G Storage
August 23, 2011 12:12:27 AM

Have you bought those or not? Dont get ASRock because they are like the low-end motherboard or in my opinion because i just dont like them so dont hate lol...
Get Venomous X, it'll do a better job but i highly recommend CM212+ because it's the bang for buck right now with a great performance for a low cost but Venomous X is still the best Cooler around... These Second Generation isn't as hot as the first generation and can go high OC without making too much heat so Liquid cooling is not need unless your getting around the 80s on Air(at 4.5GHz or so)...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (This videocard got faster clock and better cooling)
m
0
l
August 23, 2011 12:14:23 AM

Hard drive failures are pretty uncommon with a standalone computer, so you should be safe with a RAID0. Ive been running mine for almost a year now without any hickup and I intend on never goin back
....but....
Thats not to say that they never will Die.
Running RAID0 does some time reduce your MTBF Ive know people to say up to a third of thier life reduced.
It really depend on how precious your files are and you can never be too safe. In the long run Id be tempted on spend a little more and go the RAID10 Setup.

Excellent choice of case too, how ever they can attract a lot of dust!
m
0
l
Related resources
August 23, 2011 12:30:30 AM

legendkiller said:
Have you bought those or not? Dont get ASRock because they are like the low-end motherboard or in my opinion because i just dont like them so dont hate lol...
Get Venomous X, it'll do a better job but i highly recommend CM212+ because it's the bang for buck right now with a great performance for a low cost but Venomous X is still the best Cooler around... These Second Generation isn't as hot as the first generation and can go high OC without making too much heat so Liquid cooling is not need unless your getting around the 80s on Air(at 4.5GHz or so)...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (This videocard got faster clock and better cooling)


That board is getting deadly reviews, is totally future proof and just looks damn nice. Little expensive but It'll be a board I'll use for min 2 years. I have no idea what you're talk about coolers. The Liquid cooler is cheap and is proven to let the i7 hit 5.0 Ghz with good temps.

Also, the video card is $399, with a $-50 Instant Rebate and $50 Mail-in Rebate. A 580 for $400. Yes please. Saves me $100

This is a raid question, not about my build.

deicidechaos said:
Hard drive failures are pretty uncommon with a standalone computer, so you should be safe with a RAID0. Ive been running mine for almost a year now without any hickup and I intend on never goin back
....but....
Thats not to say that they never will Die.
Running RAID0 does some time reduce your MTBF Ive know people to say up to a third of thier life reduced.
It really depend on how precious your files are and you can never be too safe. In the long run Id be tempted on spend a little more and go the RAID10 Setup.

Excellent choice of case too, how ever they can attract a lot of dust!


I see, so maybe 2x500 HD's in Raid0 another HD (most likely internal) as a backup. I could do that. Get a cheap backup drive.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
August 23, 2011 12:38:59 AM

A would always recommend a backup, even if you did go with RAID 10 because RAID is not a backup method, they accomplish 2 different things. You cannot roll back with RAID array if there is a problem.
m
0
l
a c 96 G Storage
August 23, 2011 12:39:23 AM

Do you NEED to get RAID0?

Is your hard drive a bottleneck in your setup?

If not, maybe it would be best to go with RAID1 (MIRRORING) for reliablity rather than RAID0 for speed.
m
0
l
August 23, 2011 1:53:51 AM

I just want to be able to play video games on my SSD, and capture Hi-Quaility Battlefield 3 @ 1920x1080 on my separate Hard Drives in Raid0. The hard drives are where the screen captured footage is going to go. I need a lot of Write Speed. Fraps at those settings I believe capture 71 mb/s -100mb/s @ 60frames.

I just need a good writing setup.
m
0
l
August 23, 2011 12:42:08 PM

Quote:
I see, so maybe 2x500 HD's in Raid0 another HD (most likely internal) as a backup. I could do that. Get a cheap backup drive

@ Stalzy. Thats what Ive got running ATM and havnt looked back. 'been recording a stack of HD videos, rendering them then storing of a spare internal WD HDD and waiting for youtube upload :)  as well as back ups again on another exteral WD HDD
m
0
l
August 25, 2011 12:10:35 AM

I use two of the exact WD Blacks in our office server. Even networked these drives scream in Raid1. The files open instantaneously without any hesitation. Thus, I wouldn't take the risk of losing data with a Raid0 setup if you can afford Cavair Blacks running on sata3.

Secondly, I've lost 4 hard drives in the last year on new installs. I would never bet that your hard drive won't fail because there's about a 10% chance one will fail eventually.

Third, I've had to return ASRock, Asus, BioStar, and MSI boards due to failures. I wouldn't say that any board manufacturer is any better than another. Most people just have luck with a manufacturer and preach their praises. Having built over 20 new computers in the last year, I couldn't recommended any board based on perceived quality. And, by the way, 6 of the mobos I installed were ASRock and they're pretty good for the price.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
August 25, 2011 3:43:34 AM

Stalzy said:
That board is getting deadly reviews, is totally future proof and just looks damn nice. Little expensive but It'll be a board I'll use for min 2 years. I have no idea what you're talk about coolers. The Liquid cooler is cheap and is proven to let the i7 hit 5.0 Ghz with good temps.

That's the Second Generation i7 you tard, A CM212+ Can cool it down at 4.8GHz(Not sure about 5GHz) but the CM212+ is half the price with a great performance but the Venomous X can cool it down way better around 5.2GHz(Not sure) but with custom build WaterCooling, it can cool up to 5.6GHz(Depend how many RAD you HAVE)...
m
0
l
!