Is core 2 duo better than dual core for basic Internet search and word processin

Ordinary computer User

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
For an ordinary person who does Internet searching and e-mail, and ordinary applications such as Word, spreadsheets, plus running free Anti-virus programs such as AVG, etc., is there really any benefit to to Core 2 Duo over Dual-core. Would never touch the BIOS to over-clock and do not play games.

If all you do is more basic/mundane stuff like you listed, you probably won't notice a whole lot of difference unless you multitask (i.e. doing 2+ things at once).

An inexpensive Core 2 Duo is probably the best all around option though.

Ordinary computer User

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Getting an Intel Core 2 Duo would cost another $70 to $80 over getting an Intel Pentium dual-core processor. My understanding is the Intel Pentium dual-core processor is based on the Intel Core 2 Duo technology but has a slower FSB (about 800 as opposed to 1066) and is not as good a dual-core processor. So they should both allow me to do the limited multi-tasking I do (e.g., using Word while on the Internet or running a Virus check). So for someone who does not do gaming, would there be a noticeable benefit to the extra $70 to $80? That is really my question. Thanks.

4745454b

Titan
I would just get a basic dual core machine. Basic tasks won't sure the added benefits that faster duals and quads can provide. I would look for one that has a low thermal envelope. You should also consider AMD machines. They have many energy efficient (EE) models and are probably cheaper then the Intel chips.