Sign in with
Your question

Memtest86+ results, mobo slots broken?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 2, 2010 9:35:16 AM

I've got a i5-750, Asus P7P55D-E and 4x2GB CL7 RAM, in BIOS i've got 'em on Auto config and Memtest86+ recognizes 'em as CL9 RAM. Anyway, my Win7-64bit crashes constantly and gives me a dumpfile which states that there might be a problem with my RAM.
I ran Memtest86+ and the results are:

Each of the four RAM sticks have cleared 3 passes without any errors on Dimm slot B1.
When i tried one RAM stick on the Dimm slot A1 it gave me errors.
I tried one RAM stick on Dimm slot A1 and one on B1 as the manual says to run with two RAM sticks to have dual-channel, memtest86+ gave me errors.
Then i inserted the last two RAM sticks on Dimm slots A2 and B2 now having all Dimm slots occupied, i got errors.

Does this mean my RAM slots on the motherboard are broken?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2010 11:57:02 AM

Unlikely; Odds are memtest simply didn't pick up the error the first time.

Test each stick one at a time for multiple passes. If they all pass one slot, and all fail another, then you have a good chance of a busted slot (again, VERY unlikely...). More likely, one stick went bad but passed during the first batch of testing.
April 2, 2010 2:19:55 PM

So me testing each stick one at a time for 3 passes without errors on one slot and then trying the same on another slot where i get errors immediately, wasn't thorough enough? How many passes should i run through before i can be certain that the problem is not with the Ram sticks?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2010 4:00:51 PM

^^ Ah, thought you tested individually on one slot, then in pairs after one failed on the second.

It sounds like a bad slot, but again, those are very rare...still, might be time for a RMA...
!