New Western Digital disc but which one?

snowjim

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Hi,

I have today the following drivers

1 SSD Intel (60GB)
3 Western Digital Green (1TB + 2TB + 500GB)

The only problem I have with this setup is that the WD discs takes some time when accesssing them the first time? I supose that those drivers shut´s down and then when accessing there will be a delay until the drivers is ready? This is somthing I never notice with other (older) drivers, maby this is bound to just green drivers (special energy save and just 5400rpm)?

Now I am on the market for a new 2TB driver, I do think that the Western Digital are of better quality and thats why im probably going to go for this brand again.

The new driver will be used as a storage driver but my SSD is small and in some rare occasion I will install programs/games on this new driver.

The most important characteristic is big, long lasting and silent.

So which driver will fit my needs? And is there a special model I should choose/avoid?

BestRegards

You mean "drives" not "drivers".

When you mention a DELAY, I believe you are talking about the delay to SPIN UP? If you go into your Power Settings, there is a setting for how many minutes for a drive to shutdown after it has NOT been accessed.

I chose 30 minutes. You could leave it on NEVER shut down, but this adds noise, heat and wears out the drive. Don't set much lower or it may turn on and off too much which is also annoying.

To get this straight, you have 3.5TB of disc space and want more?

May I suggest you get a Western Digital 2TB Elements USB drive to use for less frequently accessed files.

It's not a great idea to have too many hard drives as the heat and noise adds up.

In general, it's best to have storage drives (really, any non-Windows drive) as slower and quieter.

Most hard drives are great. The WD 2TB 3.5" GREEN drive is a fine drive. NCIX is a great place to look for prices.

SSD:
You may discover that your 60GB SSD becomes too small over time. No need to replace unless its maxed out, however I wouldn't install any games on it. Microsoft updates, System Restore images etc will add up over time.

I had to get a 2nd 60GB (RAID0) when I ran out of space and I have 35GB left on the 120GB total.

snowjim

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Thanks!

Yes of course drives.

But if a keep the shutdown then it should not add noise heat or wear of the drive while its not in use? I do have 4 slots (slots and SATA) left, And If I do want to keep the harddrive count down I could switch the 500GB for a 2TB drive.

External drive (3.5") will demand a separate power source and will demand more space around the computer and it will probably also be vary slow if not using e-SATA.

Say that I would go for a WD Green 2 TB which model is prefered and why?

WD20EARX
WD20EARS
WD20EADS
Is ther more models?

Then there is also the black version : WD2002FAEX but this is not that interested be cause the drive will mainly be used for storing data.