aofjax

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Hi all. This is my first post even though I've been an avid reader for tom's for a while. I've been saving for a few months to get a computer and I settled on getting the upcoming radeon 5870 x2 and possibly two for crossfire x in the future. My question is is there any new info for it as I heard some rumors saying it might be released oct 23th and that has come and gone. I heard ces is coming up and my guess is they will have more info then, but the last I heard anything for the 5870 x2 was back on sept 29th. Thanks a lot. :D

rescawen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
we aren't seeing anything more demanding than crysis next year, because cryengine 3 in downgrade from 2.

display cannot show more than 60 fps, eyes cannot detect more than 30 fps, personally 20 is good enough for fps.

give it to charity the money u dont need pls.

aofjax

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Well, as long as 2 can do 60 frames at max settings as this is for the next 2-3 years and I'm sure if it can run crysis smoothly, my computer can run anything for quite some time. I know it will be cheaper then, but I figured since this is the second time I ever bought a graphics card when it first came out I would. Btw, I'm upgrading from a radeon x800 xt lol.

TheViper

Distinguished
Rescawen, your eyes can detect far more than 30 fps.

At around 8-10 we can no longer "see" the individual frames but we can detect how fluid the animation is even beyond 60 fps.

Aofjax, it's unknown when the HD 5870X2's will release but current belief is sometime before nVidia releases their next cards. That could be as early as the middle of next month or as late as the end of January.

TheViper - where is your source for that? It's true that 30fps isn't enough with certain motion, but I've yet to see anyone show any proof (though I've seen many grandiose claims) that >60fps creates any gains whatsoever in fluidity.

Don't give me the refresh rate on CRTs either - I know that a 60Hz flicker is detectable, and that isn't what I'm talking about.