Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Super Quiet and cheap CPU heatsink/fan replacements?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 26, 2012 11:32:40 PM

So I haven't been able to find much information about after market heatsink/fan replacement for CPUs that are super quiet. I'd figure this would be the place, but it seems everyone is into keeping there system cool for overclocking and not necessarily a silent PC. Well I'm asking all of you guys what the best fan and heatsink combo is in terms of being quiet. My system isnt really overclocked, maybe .2 GHz or so, so I'm not in need of an extreme cooling, it's just that the current fan is so dang loud I NEED to change it. Itll be on a 960T Phenom. So any tips on what fans you guys think are super quiet let me know!

Thanks!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 11:43:22 PM

Corsair Hydro series, like an H60 or H80. Extremely quiet and on par with the best air coolers! I have an old H50 that keeps my i3 2100 at 26C idle and only the sound of a 120mm fan at the back of my computer that makes no appreciable noise difference compared to my 4 other case fans.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 11:45:01 PM

Oh, forgot to say, it also kept my old Q8200 at 24C idle OCed from 2.33GHz to 3.1GHz, never getting over 50C Prime tested.
Score
Related resources
January 26, 2012 11:51:52 PM

Ok thanks, but everything in google i look for says those are liquid cooling, im interested in simply air cooling, unless I'm just not looking at the right coolers... Also I was looking for something cheap, like $30-40, just something quiet since I don't need the extreme cooling aspect.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2012 4:04:21 AM

Yeah, they are liquid, all in one sealed (so not like 'water cooling' that you have to 'build'). Try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's a little more than you were looking at, but has great reviews and it's a 92mm fan setup so it's quiter than the bigger 120mm.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2012 4:10:48 AM

one up on the corair h series havnt heard really anything bad about them just be sure to test the loop on it before installing to check for leaks and such(as you should with all coolers anyways), i dont know how quite they are but i have also heard very good things about the coolermaster hyper 212 evo last i knew they were 34.99 and newegg does free shipping no tax
January 27, 2012 4:30:21 AM

robthatguyx said:
one up on the corair h series havnt heard really anything bad about them just be sure to test the loop on it before installing to check for leaks and such(as you should with all coolers anyways), i dont know how quite they are but i have also heard very good things about the coolermaster hyper 212 evo last i knew they were 34.99 and newegg does free shipping no tax

Ya, I'm most likely going to go with this one, it looks like just the heatsink I need! Thanks
Score
January 27, 2012 4:30:33 AM

Best answer selected by emlarsen2.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2012 4:53:20 AM

just be sure it will fit, be a pain to have to send it back
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2012 12:05:30 PM