Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WIRELESS ROUTERS, ADAPTERS, CARDS, & ACCESS POINTS

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 16, 2010 11:31:47 PM

I'm a computer idiot-please explain how I can access my internet service from my new laptop computer. Old desktop is XP and my new laptop is Windows 7 Home--I don't even know if that makes a difference.

I would like to know if I can make my laptop more portable--during travel, vacationing, etc?

And, can I sync programs and documents on my desktop to my laptop?

PLEASE USE KINDERGARTEN LANGUAGE & EXPLANATIONS.

Best solution

a b D Laptop
February 17, 2010 2:04:08 AM

Should I assume you currently have a direct connection (via wire) from your old desktop to the cable/dsl modem provided by your ISP?

If so, then you'll minimally want to purchase a wireless router. This will allow all your wired and wireless devices to share the single public IP provided by your ISP.

As far as making your laptop more portable, I don't know what you mean by more portable.

Can you sync programs and document between your desktop and laptop? Sure, once you get those devices sharing the same network via a wireless router.

So solve the networking problem first, the rest will follow.

February 17, 2010 12:05:33 PM

here are your options:

1. WiFi - Wireless network that you can set up in your home. You need, either cable or dsl internet subscription and a wireless router/gateway. Usually, you can request a free router from your ISP or Internet Service Provider such as Verizon and Road Runner.
With this you can get wireless internet access in your laptop (and up to 252 other computers) within an average of 200 feet from the router. This kind of wireless internet is what you often find in Coffee shops and restaurants.

2. Wireless Broadband - This requires a SIM card just like in your mobile phones. Newer notebooks and netbooks has builtin SIM card slots. If your's doesnt have it you may buy a USB dongle which is commonly available in regular electronics stores. This type of connection allows you to get internet access virtually everywhere. This however can only be used in one computer at a time.

Ceasar Sabarre
Computer Tech
www.Cesabarre.com
Related resources
March 1, 2010 1:09:43 AM

Best answer selected by jbrasseaux.
March 1, 2010 1:11:02 AM

eibgrad said:
Should I assume you currently have a direct connection (via wire) from your old desktop to the cable/dsl modem provided by your ISP?

If so, then you'll minimally want to purchase a wireless router. This will allow all your wired and wireless devices to share the single public IP provided by your ISP.

As far as making your laptop more portable, I don't know what you mean by more portable.

Can you sync programs and document between your desktop and laptop? Sure, once you get those devices sharing the same network via a wireless router.

So solve the networking problem first, the rest will follow.

More portable--meaning accessing the internet practically anywhere.
a b D Laptop
March 1, 2010 5:29:42 AM

jbrasseaux said:
More portable--meaning accessing the internet practically anywhere.

There are many locations that offer free wifi (e.g., Starbucks, McDonalds, hotels, etc.), but it’s certainly not widespread, available anytime, anywhere coverage. But you could always add a cellular adapter/router to your laptop accessories so you could those networks (e.g., 3G) for Internet access as well. Not cheap, and would probably require an ongoing paid plan (maybe even available through your current provider), but it does make the Internet accessible in far more locations than if you only depended on wifi. In the worst case, if you have a dial-up modem installed (I do, but my laptop is a bit older and I’m not sure if dial-up modems are as common in laptops today), you always have access via the phone system (not very fast, but good enough for email and other light duties).

!