Problems with memory and ram(ocz&msi)

bomlex

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Hello

I was having the hyper transport sync flood error which i have solved with reducing the speed of ram to 800mhz.
But the ocz sticks i have should be able to do 1333mhz, and when i'm on it and have a game or program open that uses a lot of ram, it will crash(the programm). I don't get the htsf anymore so that's good but I was wondering what the problem is here...
One thing i've noticed is that my mobo gives 1.5v to ram and the ram needs 1.65v.
But I can't get to 1.65 in the bios cuz i only have 1.63 then it jumps to 1.67(i updated my bios with liveupdate or something two days ago).

I have a msi 785GM-e51 and the ocz low voltage gold 1333mhz once with cl-9-9-9-20.

bomlex

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
i tried both, 1.67v in begin. It helped for two days only. Now i'm using auto with 800mhz memory speed.
Everything seems fine like this but what can be the problem that causes crashes when i go higher memory or voltage?
And i'm running cpu at nomral speed, i tried also higher but without any succes(stock speed is 3.2, tried 3.3 and 3.4 also 3250-ish).
Oh also, memtest fails at 1066 a,d 1333 but at 800mhz it doesn't give any error.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Junk RAM is your most likely problem. I've had tons of issues with OCZ gold, which is their "budget" line.

That RAM is for P55 motherboards. Here's what OCZ replied to someone else: "Hello, we are sorry that you had problems. This product was developed for newer Intel chipsets, and we do not market it for AMD systems. We are however happy to assist our customers with troubleshooting and settings on our support forums at the link below."

bomlex

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Wha? I bought this so I'm stuck with it till next october. If I send it to ocz, they will just replace it. Or do I have the option to choose another if it's same price?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Yes, I've looked at a lot of RAM, some companies say "this is for AMD, this is for Intel" but that's just BS. I'm getting my best AMD memory speeds using "Intel" RAM. I'm also finding that most of the "AMD-only" RAM uses the old voltage-tolerant DDR3-1066 chips at higher overclocking voltage.

OCZ can make all the excuses they want, but when you see that ton's of Intel customers are also having trouble with its "Intel" RAM, you know it's a quality issue.

I just tell everyone to stay away from OCZ gold. More often than not, it's junk. "Made by overclockers for overclockers" just means you're buying slow RAM that OCZ has rated at a higher "overclocked" speed.

You would think the company might try to protect its image by ditching the Gold line altogether...

I agree with you, but unfortunately the OP failed to read the reviews before buying it. The reviews on Newegg clearly show that a significant percentage of Intel users also have issues with that RAM, but OCZ can still use the excuse for AMD users. Here are 2 typical answers:

"Hello, this memory is designed and tested to run at 1.65v, and running and additional .05 is with the typical margin of error for BIOS settings. We understand that you want to run 1.5v; this likely be done by lowering your memory speed to 1066mhz." and
"Hello, we are sorry that you had problems. This product was developed for newer Intel chipsets, and while many have used it for AMD systems with good success, we do not actively market it for AMD. We are however happy to assist our customers with troubleshooting and settings on our support forums at the link below."

The OP should definitely try to get a set of OCZ modules that will work with his motherboard.

bomlex

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

I bought it at pixmania where it only showed it was 1.65v. But I made a big mistake to not look it up :(
Thanks for all the help guys, hope they will be nice monday.