Is my Air Flow correct?

blakkoctober

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I am assuming this is the correct place to ask? if not i do apologize.

Machine Specs

Tower: Raidmax Altas ATX Mid Tower Case ATX-295WB
CPU: Phenom II Black Edition 970 Overclocked @4.0GHZ
RAM: Patriot 8GB 2x4
GPU: Gigabyte 6850
Cooling: Corsair H60 Dual Fan setup Push|Pull

Here is my idea:

AirFlow.png

I believe i will cut a whole in the top of my tower for an extra exhaust.. end results would be.

(2) 120mm intake
(1) 200mm Intake
(2) 120mm Exhaust

Whats everyone's opinion?

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Ok, here is my two cents worth: I like positive pressure, its keep most of the dust out of your machine. Your setup looks like its going to run netural or possibily negative (your pushing out more air than pulling in so dust etc is going to come in from all the little air gaps around your case due to the neg. pressure). To make sure it's going to run positive, I'd have it as is but mount the CPU vertically and don't cut the hole in the top. If you want to do some cutting, then cut a mounting into the side of the case blowing air around the GPU area, this will further increase positive pressure and help (I noticed a big difference on mine). Take it your pretty handy cutting and doing the metal work... wouldn't want to mess up your case.

blakkoctober

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I do a lot of work with cutting and so forth so im not worried about that ;)

I don't care about dust as I am an avid cleaner.

Basically im just looking for the best cooling possible.. Granted i am not as knowledgeable as other people on this forum with fan placement and so forth. :)

Thanks for the reply

blakkoctober

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Not worried about dust..

Correct Heat rises Hence why i was thinking of cutting a whole in the top and placing another exhaust fan..

blakkoctober

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Thanks for the heads up :)

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
the speed at which heat rises is quite slow compared to fan push speed, the hole at the top of your case is a bit gimmicky if u ask me... its going to run plenty cool enough. With your CPU fan horizontal plus the top vertical exhaust fan you are going to pull out plenty of air to avoid a build up. The side mounted panel fan would be much better, pushing cold exterior air straight onto your GPU / chipset.

blakkoctober

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

So would I be better off skipping out on the cutting the whole in the top and running..

EDIT*

Should note under a 10 minute stress test @4.0Ghz my Cpu never exceeded 50C and mobo 27C I believe i have good cooling already.. but i have a 120/200mm just sitting here.

Dual Intake (keep in mind one intake is counting for my Radiator push/pull setup)
200mm side intake
(1) rear exhaust?

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Well before I'd do any cutting try check the temps so you have a benchmark... my pref is 120mm fans so I would cut mounting for 2x of those on the side panel, one slightly below the GPU and above it. Cold air straight in for your GPU fan underside and cold air blown straight onto the chip socket. This would give you 4x 120mm input fans and your PSU plus single 120mm as the output. That's a lot of positive pressure and your single rear fan will pull that out the top rear (helped by what I assume is a 120mm CPU fan blowing in the same direction). This is just my suggestion based on what I have read and tried and tested in my own machine.

blakkoctober

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Will do some testing :) thank you

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008

Ah I see... using the 200mm as a side intake is what I would do then given you have it already.

Edit: Those are very cool temps.

You could try the rad push/pull like that or switch it to other direction= blowing out
Experiment with that for best result.
Apparently you have no idea about power supplies.
The large fan on a psu is an intake fan and the hot air expells out the back.