Sign in with
Your question

I just don't get it.

Last response: in Motherboards
April 3, 2010 2:31:23 AM

hey all,

This building a PC is pretty new to me and I am running into problems and seeking help. I know enough to get in trouble and this is where I am at now! HELP PLEASE?

I have Asus M4A78T-E mobo with AMD Phenom II x 4 955. Bios 2208. HDD 40 GB IDE where I installed OS (because the 160/500 GB was not seen by OS upon start up) Win 7 home.

The problem 1: I have 2 SATA HDD of 160 and 500 GB connected and enabled in BIOS but only 1 (header 1) will be seen by OS @ 127 gig. I have switched out the 500 for the 160 and yet only will be seen at 127 gig. What can i do? :sweat: 

The problem 2: Why does the BIOS "see" the 2 HDD of 160/500 as that but not the OS?

Many Thanks in advance, Don

More about : question

a c 435 V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 10:23:46 AM

I use the hardrive software to prep any new drives. Maxblast 5.0 will work with seagate and maxtor drives; it will allow you to prep the drive as the boot device or secondary drive, or do a drive to drive copy which can save hours of time when you're not changing motherboards. Other brands have similar software available for a free download; the cd acts as a boot device.
m
l
April 3, 2010 1:06:34 PM

In your bios - what did you choose for your drives? IDE, AHCI, RAID?

AHCI (or SATA) would be correct

In Windows, run diskmgmt.msc and see if that recognizes your drive. I think it needs a format also - NTFS
m
l
April 3, 2010 5:39:47 PM

I wouldn't use AHCI, just set all HDs to IDE mode.
AHCI enables NativeCommandQueing and hot-swappable SATA, both applicable mostly to servers and/or RAID arrays...
NCQ is good for servers dishing out many tiny files constantly, but is shown to reduce performance marginally in a typical gamer PC.
Win7 doesn't even see 'other' HDs until you first assign them a letter in Disk Management.
It seems to hide other HDs or their partitions by default.
For example, I always use a 2GB FAT partition to multi-boot different OS's, what WinXP calls a System partition.
Win7 doesn't show it by default and goes straight for the second partition which it calls C:\
You must have your BIOS setup just-so, before you ever begin to install your OS.
Right-click 'My Computer' and select Manage to get to your Disk Management.
Regards
m
l
Related resources
!