Solved

Motherboard Choices Gigabyte or ASUS

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Asus
  • Gigabyte
Last response: in Motherboards
April 3, 2010 3:55:01 AM

I am upgrading to some new stuff, I am putting together a i5 750 system and I am debating on what board to purchase. Its either a ASUS P7P55D or a GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3, which is the better choice?. Which would you guys buy. The Gigabyte motherboard I can get for a good deal as well so that's also part of my choice.

Also is anybody using this memory in either of these boards I checked the websites but nothing was specific.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

I am not worried about my PSU as its brand new its a Corsair 750 and I have a case with plenty of cooling. Thanks for any help in advance.

More about : motherboard choices gigabyte asus

a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 3:58:59 AM

A few notes:

I like Gigabyte and Asus equally. Recently I have been more of a Gigabyte person.

What Graphics card do you intend on using? Do you plan to use USB3/SATA3?

Without some overclocking or pseudo overclocking, you cannot run ram above 1333 with an i5.

While I don't use that exact GSkill ram, I do have similar stuff, which I have been very impressed with.
m
l
April 3, 2010 4:11:10 AM

I plan on either buying a 5770 or a 5850 depending on how much money I am able to save up after I buy my motherboard,cpu and memory. I am leaning more toward a 5850 as it should be much better at 1920x1200. As for SATA3 and USB3 I have no plans but then again I don't know enough about the either of them right now. As for the ram yeah that shouldn't be a problem for me my last computer which im using now has g.skill 1066 in it and I overclocked it just fine.

But will I notice any difference in gaming between the 1333 and the 1600?. I only picked the 1600 because it was basically the same price as the 1333. But if I don't need it I will stick to the 1333. Yeah I like g.skill I have been impressed with them also.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 4:21:58 AM

Well, you can always run it at a lower speed than rated like I did (see signature).

I ask about the new SATA/USB stuff (does that Asus board have the new SATA/USB?) because Asus has a much better method for implementing it. On the Gigabyte board, your PCI-E slot drops from 16x to 8x. Asus links the chipset lanes together which results in slightly slower new USB/SATA performance, but no loss of PCI-E bandwidth.

In most (if not all) cases there will be no discernible difference in games between 1600 and 1333.

A 5850 would be a good choice. I run one at 1920x1080 too and it can max just about any game (that I've played at least).
m
l
April 3, 2010 4:36:45 AM

Oh yeah no it doesn't have any USB3 or SATA3, and the price is actually higher on the ASUS to by like twenty bucks. Yeah I will probably just buy the 1600 and leave it like you said at the stock speed since they are the same price. Yeah I really like the 5850's specs. I included the link for the ASUS motherboard.

ASUS Board

]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131404]
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 4:45:33 AM

SATA/USB 3 isn't really worth it yet imo, or at least I wouldn't pay extra for it yet. When I got my board the A version was out, but it cost $40-50 more, so I stuck with the old one. I believe GB has pretty much phased out their non-A boards (at least it seems that way).
m
l
April 3, 2010 4:48:20 AM

Yeah that's the cool part the gigabyte board is still cheaper then the ASUS even with the extra stuff. For that reason that its still cheaper then the ASUS do you think the Gigabyte is a better deal?.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 4:59:40 AM

i put these two brands on equal footing, though like EXT64 said, i have also been favoring Gigabyte a little more recently

EXT64 said:
SATA/USB 3 isn't really worth it yet imo, or at least I wouldn't pay extra for it yet. When I got my board the A version was out, but it cost $40-50 more, so I stuck with the old one. I believe GB has pretty much phased out their non-A boards (at least it seems that way).

i don't think Sata III is necessary, though USB3.0 could be very nice to have in the near future, especially if you get an external HDD with USB3.0
m
l
April 3, 2010 5:12:03 AM

Yeah I am liking the Gigabyte motherboards more it seems, they seem to have a better price point then the ASUS boards right now. I think this has pretty much answered my questions. Thanks Guy's.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 12:25:41 PM

Just a quick note, that Gigabyte board (UD3)can't do SLI or Crossfire (or at least not well). If you ever want to dual card in the future, you need the UD4P or better.

And if the Gigabyte has the new techs and is cheaper, that seems the way to go.
April 3, 2010 10:06:34 PM

Yeah that's ok though I am going to get the ATI 5850 and just go single card, with having a 24 inch monitor and gaming at 1920x1080, I should of never considered the 5770 its not fast enough for the games I want to play. I had purchased Battlefield Bad Company 2 and the comp I have now isn't good enough to get a decent FPS and the card I am using now is a 4850 with 1 gig or ram on it.

Yeah I purchased the board last night and got a hell of a deal threw newegg, I got my processor,motherboard,memory and aftermarket cooler for $452 I think I got something like $30 bucks off with free shipping on everything and no tax so I am happy as hell :D . But yeah that 5850 is just to nice to pass up. So anyway thanks again for the help.
m
l
April 3, 2010 10:06:48 PM

Best answer selected by AssassianZero.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2010 3:00:31 AM

Nice. I hope you enjoy your new system!
m
l
!