Underclocking to reduce power draw?

darkheavens

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I recently received a GTX 260 (EVGA 216 Superclocked), and have run into a slight problem. My power supply is a 500w power supply with only 34A max on its +12v rail, whereas the video card recommends a minimum of 36A. Unfortunately purchasing a new power supply (no money) is out of the question, and so is returning the video card.

This leads us to my question... would it be feasible to underclock the video card a bit to reduce the power draw on my 2A short rail, at least long enough for me to collect the money required to purchase a better power supply?

I really appreciate any information you all can give to help me solve this dilemma!

Solution
The link doesn't work for me.
You really shouldn't worry, we have a member here ( invisik ) running dual 260's and an overclocked Q6600 on a 500 watt 34 amp Antec.
The card itself (depending on version ) only uses between 9 and 14 amps of power.
Give us your specs on your PSU and the specs for the rest of your system.

Your power supply should be able to handle it depending on your system specs.

The minimum requirements is a suggestion, not a rule, and generally most people don't need 36amps for it.

darkheavens

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I was hoping to hear something along those lines as I don't think I'm putting much stress on it currently.

PSU: 500w, +12VDC (one rail) 34A (Detailed Specifications)
Video Card: As said, GTX 260 core 216 SC
Processor: Phenom 9500 (x4 2.2ghz)
Mobo: ECS A770M-A

Some (lesser?) related specs:
2x 2GB PC 6400 RAM
1x 7200 HDD (WD Caviar Black)
1x DVD RW
And maybe 6 other USB peripherals.

If there's anything else you need, please ask, I really appreciate the help.

darkheavens

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Does anyone have anything else to add as to whether or not I should downclock for safety? If not, does anyone have any positive or negative opinions of EVGA Precision for doing so?

The link doesn't work for me.
You really shouldn't worry, we have a member here ( invisik ) running dual 260's and an overclocked Q6600 on a 500 watt 34 amp Antec.
The card itself (depending on version ) only uses between 9 and 14 amps of power.

Solution

darkheavens

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Okay, thanks for the advice. I try to be wary when it comes to stressing out my PSU; I've seen and heard horror stories of the vengeful PSUs that strike back at their masters for making them work too hard.

PS. I fixed the link (because I hate broken links, not because it's still needed).

Solved!