Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Complete beginner

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 16, 2005 6:02:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Hello,

I'm beginning to make progress with Sims-1, but there are some things I
can't understand, can you help please?

1) There are various noises, grunts & groans in the background. Am I
supposed to know what they mean?

2) There are various bubbles appearing above my Sims with little pictures
in. I can't click on them, what do they mean?

3) I'm playing with the Newbies. The TragicClown has appeared and won't
go away. How do I get rid of it ?

4) My Sim runs out of 'Comfort' , so I buy a comfy chair and tell it to
sit, but it gets up again soon after. How do I tell it to sit for a longer
time ?

5) I get visits from the neighbours, and can talk, tickle etc etc, but
how do I make 'friends'. What is the advantage in having friends ?

6) Am I supposed to control one house, or the entire neighbourhood ?

Many thanks for your help

KK

More about : complete beginner

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 6:03:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

KK wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm beginning to make progress with Sims-1, but there are some things I
> can't understand, can you help please?
>
> 1) There are various noises, grunts & groans in the background. Am I
> supposed to know what they mean?

Does your sim have his TV on? If not, then something else is happening
on your lot and you should pan out and take a look around.
>
> 2) There are various bubbles appearing above my Sims with little pictures
> in. I can't click on them, what do they mean?

Those are thought bubbles, telling you what the sim is
talking/dreaming/thinking about. Those images will be indicative of
your sims interests.
>
> 3) I'm playing with the Newbies. The TragicClown has appeared and won't
> go away. How do I get rid of it ?

Oh, shoot, I can't remember how to get rid of the clown! Maybe someone
else can help on this one.
>
> 4) My Sim runs out of 'Comfort' , so I buy a comfy chair and tell it to
> sit, but it gets up again soon after. How do I tell it to sit for a longer
> time ?

I'd try a different chair. Sims have likes and dislikes among the
furniture. Also, you could try telling your sim to study cooking.
They'll sit while they are studying and the comfort will go up.
>
> 5) I get visits from the neighbours, and can talk, tickle etc etc, but
> how do I make 'friends'. What is the advantage in having friends ?

Making friends is the only way you can have a relationship and get
married. It's also helpful to advance your career because each level of
the career requires so many friends. Besides, without the social
interactions, all you are doing is eating, pooping and sleeping in this
game. Not very interesting for long.
>
> 6) Am I supposed to control one house, or the entire neighbourhood ?

You control only one house at a time. You can only control the sims
living in that house. The active sim is the one with the green plumb
bob over it's head.

>
> Many thanks for your help
>
> KK
>
Any time!

Jeanie
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 7:23:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Jeanie" <taureanmoon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:9hAWe.332482$x96.107941@attbi_s72...
> KK wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm beginning to make progress with Sims-1, but there are some things I
>> can't understand, can you help please?
>>
>> 1) There are various noises, grunts & groans in the background. Am I
>> supposed to know what they mean?
>
> Does your sim have his TV on? If not, then something else is happening on
> your lot and you should pan out and take a look around.
>>
>> 2) There are various bubbles appearing above my Sims with little
>> pictures
>> in. I can't click on them, what do they mean?
>
> Those are thought bubbles, telling you what the sim is
> talking/dreaming/thinking about. Those images will be indicative of your
> sims interests.
>>
>> 3) I'm playing with the Newbies. The TragicClown has appeared and
>> won't
>> go away. How do I get rid of it ?
>
> Oh, shoot, I can't remember how to get rid of the clown! Maybe someone
> else can help on this one.

You used whatever the move objects cheat was to delete the bastard and then
you found the damned clown picture and deleted it. NB _never_ use the Sims 1
clown picture (nor any picture based from it) it brings the clown to make
unhappy sims happy, but all the clown ever did was make things worse.


>>
>> 4) My Sim runs out of 'Comfort' , so I buy a comfy chair and tell it
>> to
>> sit, but it gets up again soon after. How do I tell it to sit for a
>> longer
>> time ?
>
> I'd try a different chair. Sims have likes and dislikes among the
> furniture. Also, you could try telling your sim to study cooking. They'll
> sit while they are studying and the comfort will go up.
>>
>> 5) I get visits from the neighbours, and can talk, tickle etc etc, but
>> how do I make 'friends'. What is the advantage in having friends ?
>
> Making friends is the only way you can have a relationship and get
> married. It's also helpful to advance your career because each level of
> the career requires so many friends. Besides, without the social
> interactions, all you are doing is eating, pooping and sleeping in this
> game. Not very interesting for long.
>>
>> 6) Am I supposed to control one house, or the entire neighbourhood ?
>
> You control only one house at a time. You can only control the sims
> living in that house. The active sim is the one with the green plumb bob
> over it's head.
>
>>
>> Many thanks for your help
>>
>> KK
>>
> Any time!
>
> Jeanie
Related resources
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 11:30:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

KK wrote:

> 3) I'm playing with the Newbies. The TragicClown has appeared and
> won't go away. How do I get rid of it ?

I heard that you had to set fire to the Clown Picture, by hanging it
above the hearth and lighting that, but I'm not sure.

> 4) My Sim runs out of 'Comfort' , so I buy a comfy chair and tell
> it to sit, but it gets up again soon after. How do I tell it to sit
> for a longer time ?

They get bored, so they'll have to do something. Studying, as Madame
Mim suggested, or reading a book.

> 6) Am I supposed to control one house, or the entire
> neighbourhood?

You can control one house at a time, but you can leave the house
during gameplay and go play another house in the neighbourhood.

T.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 8:20:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Tragic clown I never deleted ... or if I did he kept coming back. I would
basically ignore, get lots of sleep and get the fun factor up (that is what
makes him appear) Playing the piano was good

and YES definately get rid of the painting in any house it appears then he
won't turn up. I rather liked the old bugger though.

Ern

"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
news:3p325pF80b2fU1@individual.net...
> KK wrote:
>
>> 3) I'm playing with the Newbies. The TragicClown has appeared and
>> won't go away. How do I get rid of it ?
>
> I heard that you had to set fire to the Clown Picture, by hanging it above
> the hearth and lighting that, but I'm not sure.
>
>> 4) My Sim runs out of 'Comfort' , so I buy a comfy chair and tell
>> it to sit, but it gets up again soon after. How do I tell it to sit
>> for a longer time ?
>
> They get bored, so they'll have to do something. Studying, as Madame Mim
> suggested, or reading a book.
>
>> 6) Am I supposed to control one house, or the entire neighbourhood?
>
> You can control one house at a time, but you can leave the house during
> gameplay and go play another house in the neighbourhood.
>
> T.
>
!