Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What's wrong with my SSD?

Last response: in Storage
August 24, 2011 12:42:31 AM

So recently I built a new computer from the ground up to ensure I don't have to upgrade for years to come. This was my first time building, did hit a few snags at first, but got that sorted out by asking the community here before.

I think my SSD may be faulty. Not sure how long the warranty on it is but I ditched the original packaging and all not thinking it would give me problems. It's been over 30 days so I might not have a chance regardless. My new computer blue screens at least 6 times a week, on start up when entering EFI BIOS settings the SSD isn't listed at all sometimes. I find myself often disabling any other harddrives and just leaving the SSD enabled to solve this problem but it doesn't work. The boot order list gets refreshed and either my SSD isn't listed, or it's out of order and the SSD isn't the primary hard drive. I have to restart the computer a second or third time to get it listed again.

Whether I haven't taken the necessary steps for using a SSD as the boot drive I'm not sure but I'd appreciate any help.

OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive VTX3-25SAT3-120G
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Don't know if there's anything noteworthy. I'm positive I'm using a SATAIII cable for the SSD, and I know TRIM is on.

More about : wrong ssd

Best solution

August 24, 2011 1:02:31 AM

Soon as I read you get a BSOD 6x a week, I was thinking I bet you have an OCZ.. and you do, this issue is rather common with the newer sandforce 22xx controllers. Make sure the firmware is updated although I haven't seen a real fix yet.

This is also why I recommend the Crucial M4 as the only sata3 option I will suggest currently, the rest mostly are SF-22xx based drives that have issues galore. Samsung is just coming out with a new consumer model the 830, hopefully those have the same reliability of their sata 2 470s to give me 2 options I can recommend.

Try updating firmware, if it keeps happening contact OCZ, I believe those have a 3 year warranty, more RMAs they get maybe they'll stay focused on finding a fix lol, I do think sandforce just came up with a new firmware this past week but don't know how successful it is, at least OCZ does seem to get their updates first.
August 24, 2011 1:34:57 AM

mirb said:
So recently I built a new computer from the ground up to ensure I don't have to upgrade for years to come. This was my first time building, did hit a few snags at first, but got that sorted out by asking the community here before.

I think my SSD may be faulty. Not sure how long the warranty on it is but I ditched the original packaging and all not thinking it would give me problems. It's been over 30 days so I might not have a chance regardless. My new computer blue screens at least 6 times a week, on start up when entering EFI BIOS settings the SSD isn't listed at all sometimes. I find myself often disabling any other harddrives and just leaving the SSD enabled to solve this problem but it doesn't work. The boot order list gets refreshed and either my SSD isn't listed, or it's out of order and the SSD isn't the primary hard drive. I have to restart the computer a second or third time to get it listed again.

Whether I haven't taken the necessary steps for using a SSD as the boot drive I'm not sure but I'd appreciate any help.

OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive VTX3-25SAT3-120G
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Don't know if there's anything noteworthy. I'm positive I'm using a SATAIII cable for the SSD, and I know TRIM is on.

MrYoink, unfortunately this is a known issue with the OCZ Vertex 3. The retail store where I bought mine advised me to get an M4 because of the large number of returns with the OCZ. However, I disregarded his advice thinking it can't be THAT bad.

Every day, I regret my decision. It BSODs, freezes and stutters constantly.

Take a look at the OCZ forums... moderators have even closed threads because of the sheer numbers of people angry about their expensive bricks.

My advice is this: update the firmware. Mine has definitely improved since doing this, but is far from being problem free. Some users report that the most recent firmware release has completely solved it. You may well be lucky.
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2011 1:42:32 AM

Mirb is who has the issue, however yes my advice on the M4 has been ignored numerous times over the OCZ. Hopefully the newest firmware update finally starts to fix these issues. The 500 MB speeds on the OCZs vs the 415 on the M4s is why people often think it can't be that bad, however the M4s actually have a much better random read speed, only the maximum IOPS version of the OCZs comes near it and with all the issues, it still isn't worth it imo.
m
l
August 24, 2011 2:05:38 AM

mryoink said:
Mirb is who has the issue, however yes my advice on the M4 has been ignored numerous times over the OCZ. Hopefully the newest firmware update finally starts to fix these issues. The 500 MB speeds on the OCZs vs the 415 on the M4s is why people often think it can't be that bad, however the M4s actually have a much better random read speed, only the maximum IOPS version of the OCZs comes near it and with all the issues, it still isn't worth it imo.

My apologies. Yes, 2 months after getting the Vertex 3, which I have in my Dell laptop, the time came to update the boot drive in my desktop. Previously, it had an original Vertex which died (not OCZ's fault - I broke the SATA connector - the SSD limped along for a while with the cable held in place with a piece of string, but eventually gave up the ghost). Of course, given my endless experiences of BSODs and what have you, I chose an M4. Not a single failure to date. And I honestly doubt I would notice the difference in performance between the two.
m
l
August 24, 2011 2:10:44 AM

beenthere is right that they have all had their issues. Intel's newest firmware seems to fix their 8mb drive capacity issue. Crucial had a LPM issue that occurred with some combinations of equipment, make sure you update to the 0002 firmware. The SF-22xx based drives have had the most issues and isn't resolved yet.

The speeds on all of the sata3s seem to have hit a very good level, hopefully we start to see more reliability and of course lower prices going forward as a focus :) 
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
August 25, 2011 4:55:33 AM

OOPS! Never mind! I got things mixed up. :whistle: 
m
l
August 29, 2011 3:19:53 AM

Best answer selected by mirb.
m
l
August 29, 2011 3:22:16 AM

mryoink said:
Soon as I read you get a BSOD 6x a week, I was thinking I bet you have an OCZ.. and you do, this issue is rather common with the newer sandforce 22xx controllers. Make sure the firmware is updated although I haven't seen a real fix yet.

This is also why I recommend the Crucial M4 as the only sata3 option I will suggest currently, the rest mostly are SF-22xx based drives that have issues galore. Samsung is just coming out with a new consumer model the 830, hopefully those have the same reliability of their sata 2 470s to give me 2 options I can recommend.

Try updating firmware, if it keeps happening contact OCZ, I believe those have a 3 year warranty, more RMAs they get maybe they'll stay focused on finding a fix lol, I do think sandforce just came up with a new firmware this past week but don't know how successful it is, at least OCZ does seem to get their updates first.

Took me a while to get back to this, been busy. I've just now updated the firmware, had to install Win7 on a secondary drive to use OCZ Tool since you can't update an SSD if it's the primary drive. A bit of a pain but it's updated now. I doubt it'll BSoD 6 times a week now, thanks!

If any related problems pop up I'll post them here.
m
l
!