Machine turns off after installing CPU

Stone9

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Hi guys,

I just received a new CPU that I was hoping to upgrade my current machine with. I am going from a E6400 to a Q9400. However, after installing the Q9400, the machine starts up for maybe half a second, then shuts down. I thought maybe I had the heatsink on wrong, but I checked that it looks to be okay. I took the CPU out and turned it on to see if the machine would at least turn on, and it did. I then put the E6400 back into the machine and tried turning it on, but I got the same result as with the Q9400. Did I potentially do something to my motherboard during the upgrade process? Any insights are welcome!

Thanks in advance guys.

Stone9

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Your mobo may require a BIOS update to support the 45 nm core 2 chips, or it might not support them altogether.
Check your manufacturer's webpage to see if the cpu is supported and if so which BIOS version is required.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Using your old CPU to check :-

firstly download CPUz and run the programme to identify the make & model of your motherboard. Then head to the manufacturers website and check the CPU compatibility list to see if your mobo supports the Q9400 - it may require you update your BIOS

Ignore

ulysses35

Distinguished

Scoket 775 CPU's do not have pins on them - the socket has the pins :)

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
You don't need to worry about that; as ulysses35 said, the socket 775 chips don't have pins (instead they have metal contacts) so its very hard to damage the chip.

As for causing damage, you shouldn't be able to cause any major damage to your mobo, but its a possibility you could fry the new cpu. In short, use your original cpu for now, and check the mobo's cpu compatibility as I suggested in my first post.

Stone9

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Well, I purchased a new mobo and now both CPU's worked. I couldn't find anything wrong with my socket, no bent pins or anything. Not sure what the problem was. Wish I didn't have to buy a new one, but I'm glad the CPU's weren't damaged, cause that would have been more expensive.