Low FPS GTX295 in Aion

Templisk

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Hey all, I just upgraded from an 8800GTS 512 (G92) to an XFX GTX 295 today. I don't really notice any increase in FPS at all, in fact I'm only getting 30-80FPS out hunting with a group of 6. In a fortress fight I did earlier I got around 10-20 tops. Graphics settings in game were All high/far viewing range while hunting. AA was off as was the Bloom effect. In the fortress everything was low or off with the exception of my ranges so I could see enemies from further than 2 feet in front of me. Screen resolution for desktop and in-game is 1280x1024 on a 19" LCD monitor. Here are my hardware specs: Motherboard: EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0ghz Memory: OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066 2x2GB PSU: Antec TPQ-850 HDD: Western Digital Caviar 500gb 7200RPM Sound card: Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Video card: XFX GeForce GTX295 OS: Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Video card driver was updated earlier today to the latest 191.07 I'm not entirely convinced that both GPUs are running in game. All my Nvidia control panel settings are default. Would really appreciate some help getting this straightened out, kind of disappointing getting a high end card and seeing almost no difference from an older card...

Templisk

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

You mean .4ghz raising it to 3.4? I've never overclocked before so I'll have to do some searching on it.

Is the CPU the most likely suspect or is there an issue with my HDD or memory also?

you know, right behind the video card, though in this case this shouldn't matter (or is that what you were trying to say)

i agree with internet connection, i doubt that cpu was just enough for the 8800GTS, there should have been some improvement when switching to the new gpu unless there was another problem, ie internet, mmo's typically die when the connection isn't very good

solution, try and stop everything else that your computer and everyone else's is doing on the internet (if you can stop other people) and see if that helps

if not, use a game other than Aion and see if there is a framerate difference (like CSS, or any FPS really)

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I think you guys may be confusing Frame-rate with Latency... big difference. OP, what is your latency and/or ping like in game? If it is under ~150-200ms, then that is not the issue. How do other games perform (online or offline)?

Templisk

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
My ping in game is around 80-160 depending on the server load. I used a script to mess with my network adapter's way of sending/receiving packets and it lowered my ping to 40-52 but also decreased my FPS. I have uninstalled the script and am back at the original ping and FPS.

What I'm seeing is the frame rate jumping all over the place, using both the in-game display fps as well as the fraps display on my g-15.

I've seen some issues on using SLI with Aion because it is aion.bin rather than a .exe file. The newest driver updates I downloaded were supposed to fix that issue but I still see Aion as being "not installed" on my computer in the control panel. Is that what's going on with using the multi GPU?

trkorecky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

AKA your CPU isn't nearly powerful enough to run what you're trying to make it do and it's causing a performance bottleneck. Absolutely no need for a GTX 295 at 1280x1024 either.

Either overclock significantly (4GHz+ as another poster suggested) or get a less-outdated CPU.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I just have to say... why did you get a GTX 295 for 1280x1024 resolution? Also, it's a dual GPU solution on one card, which is not supported correctly in some games. That's likely your problem. Also, you should try posting this on the Aion support forums, they'd be better equipped to answer your problems.

Templisk

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

In the works of upgrading my whole system. When asking around about my low FPS on the 8800GTS I was told my GPU was the weak point. So I upgraded the GPU as best as I could. I'm working on an i7 upgrade as well as a new monitor right now.

On a side note after some tinkering I got the second GPU to work. I'm now getting 80-120FPS outside even after enabling AAx8 and a couple other graphics settings that were off, and about 20 inside a fortress with graphics a little higher than the original testing.

I've been watching my CPU load and I'm sure you guys are right about the CPU bottleneck, I get to 80-100% load pretty frequently in large fights. Like I said earlier, i7 upgrade is in the works.

Thanks for the help everyone.