Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hp xw4400 shuts down and starts up repeatedly

Last response: in Windows XP
March 29, 2012 10:23:08 PM

Hello,

I have an hp xw4400 which is now on a desk now working. It starts by itself and shuts down as soon as the fan starts. Continues to do that. After letting is sit unplugged for a month I decided to try it again. I booted up, downloaded windows updates and I clicked restart. It shut down and now is in the same loop.
March 29, 2012 10:23:08 PM

Hello,

I have an hp xw4400 which is now on a desk now working. It starts by itself and shuts down as soon as the fan starts. Continues to do that. After letting is sit unplugged for a month I decided to try it again. I booted up, downloaded windows updates and I clicked restart. It shut down and now is in the same loop.
m
l
March 30, 2012 6:50:54 AM

Computer randomly restarts is not something unique happened to you. Sometimes there is a dreadful total crash of the system and sometime it sends different errors, upon restarting nothing happens.

-- First of all disable the auto-restart option from your control panel settings

-- Remove any recently installed maliciously software/add-on or any other application or toolbar.

-- Try to cool down your PC as the overheating due to overuse of computer may result in system freezing and sudden restarting.

-- Update your BIOS.

-- Update the drivers

-- Make it sure the error is not caused by the deficient power supply. You may try to change the power supply.

-- Conduct the registry clean up scan for quick fix of the problem.

-- Remove flashy games and/or untrusted antiviruses/antispywares. Conduct the security scan through the most powerful scanners only.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 30, 2012 7:37:05 AM

It might not be a software issue.. More likely a hardware one. I would check the power supply..It might be faulty.. Thats why it might turn on the power off. Also remove any hardware that you might have installed. Just run the essentials to test it out.
April 6, 2012 4:26:48 PM

mu33tro...

Thank you for your response....I haven't installed any new hardware so I will try the power supply. It seems that HP does not have the best online knowledge base so I am so glad to know someone like you. Thank you again.
m
l
April 6, 2012 4:33:24 PM

Thank you alishathomaz I appreciate your help.....I'm going to try that today assuming it boots up in the first place.
m
l
a b α HP
April 6, 2012 11:27:16 PM

This next topics has been merged by Area51reopened
  • Hp xw4400 shuts down and starts up repeatedly
    m
    l
    April 8, 2012 4:54:06 AM

alishathomaz said:
    Computer randomly restarts is not something unique happened to you. Sometimes there is a dreadful total crash of the system and sometime it sends different errors, upon restarting nothing happens.

-- First of all disable the auto-restart option from your control panel settings

-- Remove any recently installed maliciously software/add-on or any other application or toolbar.

-- Try to cool down your PC as the overheating due to overuse of computer may result in system freezing and sudden restarting.

-- Update your BIOS.

-- Update the drivers

-- Make it sure the error is not caused by the deficient power supply. You may try to change the power supply.

-- Conduct the registry clean up scan for quick fix of the problem.

-- Remove flashy games and/or untrusted antiviruses/antispywares. Conduct the security scan through the most powerful scanners only.

I did a scan and updated windows....tried to update the bios but can't. Right now it's running. If I restart it it's fine unless I completely shut it down. Then it goes into the cycle if I try to start it again. I left it for two days and hit the start button and it started up fine again. I know if I don't shut it down it will be fine. I can reboot using restart only.

What does that sound like??

Thanks for your earlier reply.
    m
    l
    April 15, 2012 2:19:02 AM

Best answer selected by john_40.
    m
    l
    !