Help Overclocking My Cpu Amd Phenom 2 x4 840

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael06

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Hello everyone im looking to overclock my processor can anybody help me out here? here the spec of my computer

Gigabyte 970A-UD3 Socket AM3+ 970 atx amd motherboard

Amd Phenom II X4 840 Quad-core Processor 3.2Ghz

Corsair
Hydro Series H70 High Performance Water CPU Cooler

Patriot G Series Sector 5 4Gb DDR3-1600mhz
Timing 8-9-8-24

EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Superclocked 1GB GDDR5 Graphic Card

Hitachi 500Gb 7200rpm 16MB Cache Sata 3.0Gb/s 3.5 Internal hard drive

Ocz ModXStream Pro 700Watt ATX Power Supply

Antec Gaming Case

LG 22x Dvd Burner+Dual Layer

Im not sure how much you can overclock this processor? but I like to play high end games all the time & I also leave my computer running 24/7 so looking for the right settings & I also need some help this is first time overclocking!!

Solution
Every chip is different --- if you ask me a direct question I'll do my best to answer it.

You need to report all your settings or give us a few screenshots to look through.

BTW, you're at 3.2 so you should reach 3.6 fairly easily before you need to add any voltage. I don't know how much more you can expect with a locked CPU, often its the motherboard that detirmines how high you can go with your reference clock, although the Gigabyte board should be satisfactory.

You may wish to look at a black edition CPU for further overclocking potential.

Drop your RAMs from 800 to 667
Drop your HT Link from 10x (2000MHz) to 8x (1600MHz)
Lock PCIe to 100MHz
Leave NB/IMC at 10x (2000MHz)
Bump NB volts to 1.25v
Drop CPU multiplier to 15x
Raise Clock (FSB) to 240MHz
Set CPU volts at 1.4125

Step back - she's gonna take off.

edit: I fergit ...

Read your manual, and you will learn to hit Ctrl-F1 to expand menu options ...

[:jaydeejohn:5]

michael06

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Ok Wisecracker lol I have done the settings you told me to try out & its shows that I have a 3.0ghz instead of 3.2ghz dont see nothing going up the ghz?? The cpu volts I can only pick 1.4250 I think!!

michael06

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Buzznut lol How much ghz can I go up to I think i got it up to 3.8ghz before but i was having trouble with things running it on idle i got 48 temp!! & Wisecracker when i set the FSB to 240 what does that make it 3.8ghz or something?

michael06

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Ya well I really dont have any problems till you came threw & help me out lol thanks bud so far my computer has not had a problem since you told me to setup the computer like that is there anyway that I can overclock my cpu at 4ghz? I heard someone got the chip at 4ghz & his idle speed was 48 degrees!! the settings that you gave me is that a 3.6ghz or something?

You need to establish an account at an image hosting service and upload your pics to their site -- use Ctrl-Shift-Prt Screen for capture. You may then link to the images at the hosting service using the 'picture command.'

15x240MHz = 3.6GHz

Your system clock at stock is 200MHz with a 16x CPU multiplier, or 3.2GHz. You have the '15.5x' and '16x' multiplier available to further overclock your CPU while keeping your RAMs at spec speed 6.67x240MHz (DDR3 1600).

But first you should monitor for stability, voltages and temps. Here are your CPU specs. Blowing past these specs may eventually harm your processor.

Past Gigabyte motherboards have shown a tendency to over-volt so it is important for you to experiment with your voltage settings. You should be able to raise and lower your CPU volts in 0.0125v increments. Stability at the highest clocks and lowest voltages is where you want to be.

When you find extra voltage increases add little to clock speed increases (other than heat) you have hit the 'volt wall.'

With experience and patience you can hit 4Ghz but you should first concentrate on getting to know your system and settings at the 240MHz clock. It's a 'sweet spot' with your RAMs.

Try to upload some sceenies and we'll go from there ...

Status
Not open for further replies.