Sign in with
Your question

Got The Sandybridge Bug... PCIe Card?

Last response: in Storage
August 24, 2011 6:21:36 AM

I've got one of the original Sandybridge K2600 H67 Gigabyte boards back in January. Just like the warning... the SATA controller ports 2,3,4 just stopped working. The connected drives on those ports seem fine. Ports 0 and 1 (the boot drive and main storage drive) are working fine so Windows just thinks the machine now only has 2 drives, whereas before it had 4.

Newegg will do an RMA if I want to replace the mobo but my guess is that this will require a complete re-install of Win7, right? My understanding is that Windows will complain since the mobo 'serial #' or whatever has changed.

If so, it seems like it would be less onerous to add in a PCIe SATA card. Is there any downside to this in terms of performance? Do these cards install easily? Any recommended brand?

Thanks In Advance

---JC
a c 372 G Storage
August 24, 2011 12:01:40 PM

Personally, I'd RMA the board. If it's identical to the 1st one there should be little hassle in moving the drive over. However, like you said, if you have an OEM version of windows you legally can't move it to another system, but if you explain you problem to microsoft, they may give you a new activation key.
m
l
August 24, 2011 5:03:12 PM

I don't have an OEM version of Windows... I have an MS-TechNet version, so I do have an Activation ID I can freely move. Does that mean I can just pop in a replacement mobo and the installation of Windows on the boot drive will start without complaint? That's my biggest fear. (Aside from the downtime).
m
l
Related resources
a c 372 G Storage
August 24, 2011 5:08:45 PM

Yes, if the board is identical, the drivers should still work properly. Sometimes a newer bios may cause hiccups, but nothing a quick repair install won't fix. If you want to be 100% sure, just upgrade/downgrade your bios to the version you currently have before trying to boot into windows. Also, be sure all your bios settings are the same as your current board.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
August 24, 2011 5:21:16 PM

suntower said:
I don't have an OEM version of Windows... I have an MS-TechNet version, so I do have an Activation ID I can freely move. Does that mean I can just pop in a replacement mobo and the installation of Windows on the boot drive will start without complaint? That's my biggest fear. (Aside from the downtime).
You won't need to reinstall Windows if you only replace the motherboard by an identical or very similar one.
m
l
August 24, 2011 5:36:03 PM

If it's the same motherboard make and model you will not need to re-install windows, but I would anyways, just to be clean. I do it at least 3 times a year regardless of problems or not. Only take about 30min, then the updates take about 6 hours (vista)
m
l
a c 372 G Storage
August 24, 2011 5:37:27 PM

GhislainG said:
You won't need to reinstall Windows if you only replace the motherboard by an identical or very similar one.

Normally you don't, but I have run into a situation when I did have to. It was an older Nforce3 Ultra board. Updating the bios also updated the raid controller's bios. The current drivers no longer worked with the updated raid bios... and yes it was an identical board, same rev number and all.

It was a rare circumstance and I'm sure the OP will have no problems.
m
l
a c 168 G Storage
August 24, 2011 6:29:29 PM

You should have no problems replacing the motherboard with a B3 version.
I did that with a Asus motherboard and it worked fine.

Windows will recognize that you have a new motherboard and will ask you to reactivate.
There will be no problems doing that.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
August 24, 2011 7:41:09 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Normally you don't, but I have run into a situation when I did have to. It was an older Nforce3 Ultra board. Updating the bios also updated the raid controller's bios. The current drivers no longer worked with the updated raid bios... and yes it was an identical board, same rev number and all.

It was a rare circumstance and I'm sure the OP will have no problems.
I've never run into such an issue, even when migrating Windows Server 2008 R2 to a different Intel based motherboard.
m
l
August 24, 2011 8:48:38 PM

I've never had any issues swapping over to a new motherboard, especially when it's the same make/model just updated, not even with OEM windows as that is specifically allowed in the license terms. I would RMA it, maybe see if they'll do an advanced RMA so you don't have the downtime though.
m
l
August 25, 2011 5:37:34 PM

Well, I finally heard back from Newegg. (Is something going on there? The customer service now is a bit worrying.)

They do not offer the REVB version of that mobo. So they are offering a credit towards another mobo.

The most similar board they offer is from ASUS...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

...which has all the same features, connectors and uses the same memory as the Gigabyte. Will I need to re-install Windows for this? If so, I may consider another mobo (P67) so I can overclock. If no complete re-install is required, then I'll just get this.

They also offer this:

...which is 'Z68'... which I thought was not an 1155 chipset, but what do I know. Will this o/c because it's Z68? The main thing to me is that it would work with the memory I have: Mushkin Silverline 2x4GB 240 1333

Re-installing is actually a much -bigger- issue than whether the replacement is 'better'... We use this as an audio software machine and, if you know anything about audio software, there are -hundreds- of licensed/copy protected components which will -all- likely need to be re-installed if Windows needs to be re-installed. That would probably take a week to do so a lack of drop-in replacement does not make me happy.

Ideas?

Thanks for the help!

---JC
m
l
August 25, 2011 6:06:56 PM

I would think that if you would change the board, all Windows would want would be re-activation, and if you said you had a key that can be moved around, that shouldn't be a problem. I highly doubt you'll need to completely re-install Windows.
m
l
August 25, 2011 6:11:51 PM

Thanks.

So...

I was thinking about getting this as replacement, which is Z68 but -also- includes the onboard video of the H67:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131781

1. Will this o/c because it's Z68?

2. Will this work with the memory I have: Mushkin Silverline 2x4GB 240 1333

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820226095

If I can figure these out, I'm ready to take the plunge (I guess! :D  )

---JC
m
l
a c 168 G Storage
August 25, 2011 7:32:38 PM

For what it is worth, I recently reinstalled a windows 7 SSD taken from a failed X58 motherboard using a i7-920 and put it in a H61 motherboard with a i3-2100. It booted fine, installed a few drivers, and ran properly. I did have to reactivate within 3 days. There was no problem with online activation. I did have to install some of the drivers from the included cd.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
August 25, 2011 7:59:08 PM

suntower said:
Thanks.

So...

I was thinking about getting this as replacement, which is Z68 but -also- includes the onboard video of the H67:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131781

1. Will this o/c because it's Z68?

2. Will this work with the memory I have: Mushkin Silverline 2x4GB 240 1333

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820226095

If I can figure these out, I'm ready to take the plunge (I guess! :D  )

---JC

1. Yes. It's like a P67 with more features.

2. Your links don't work, but if that memory works on a P67 motherboard, then it most likely works on a Z68 motherboard.
m
l
August 25, 2011 10:17:15 PM

Hmmm... I just popped @ $20 SATA card into the old machine and it worked just fine. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just hold onto the current machine. As much as I think a new Z68 mobo is a better choice, the lack of downtime is not insignificant.

My understanding is that the REVA boards are -fine- but for this bug.

Decisions, decisions. :D 

Thanks for all the help!

---JC
m
l
a c 168 G Storage
August 25, 2011 10:48:31 PM

suntower said:
Hmmm... I just popped @ $20 SATA card into the old machine and it worked just fine. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just hold onto the current machine. As much as I think a new Z68 mobo is a better choice, the lack of downtime is not insignificant.

My understanding is that the REVA boards are -fine- but for this bug.

Decisions, decisions. :D 

Thanks for all the help!

---JC

I would do the exchange. Particularly if they will ship you the new board before you have to return the old one.
m
l
August 26, 2011 12:41:34 AM

geofelt said:
I would do the exchange. Particularly if they will ship you the new board before you have to return the old one.

No, they will give me a store credit upon receipt... which is fine since I -will- eventually buy more stuff from them. I guess I -could- go ahead and buy the Z68 and, if it doesn't work, just stick with what I have. But like I wrote before, if I install a new mobo, I will likely have to re-install about 200 little music software apps---which will take about a week. You can't just disk image because they all have some sort of darned copy protection based on hardware IDs or Windows ID. If you haven't experienced it, it's hard to describe how annoying it is.

Decisions, decisions...

---JC
m
l
September 4, 2011 6:05:22 AM

Just wanted to say 'thanks' for the advice... I received my Asus Z68 mobo today and in less than an hour I -appear- to be back on the road. I'm -stunned-. Frankly, I only buy a new PC every year or two and I always have this deep rooted fear (from 10 years ago) about any new mobo. But this thing installed like buttah (I notice how every few months---in addition to getting more powerful, these things keep getting more and more idiot-proof.) And it booted straight to Windows. All I had to do was load the ASUS drivers CD. None of my apps are bothered!

Windows seems fine... it wants a re-activation, but I expect no problem there.

All in all, I have no idea what I was afraid of.

Thanks again!

---JC
m
l
!