Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA P55 USB3.0 Overheating? Help Please

Last response: in Motherboards
April 3, 2010 10:41:35 AM

Hello , I have a Gigabyte GA P55 USB3.0 1156 motherboard.
Just yesterday as i was cleaning my case, I took everything out the case so I can clean the dust from the case and then I install everything about in the case but this time the computer won't start up. The lights on the motherboard would come one for a spilt second and shut off and then it would even turn on. ( I also Lapped my CPU at the time)
But I notice as I was take the 24 pin power to unhook it from the motherboard that side where there is a transistor was getting extremely too hot and it felt like I was about to burn my finger. Yes this is next to the memory as well and I am thinking that maybe the motherboard die and I have to get a replacement. But I know I would most likely have to get a replacement. So therefore only on that side of the motherboard where it was getting hot. So i notice that my 24pin power cable was also getting hot as well.

Please tell me if this is a clean sign that I have to get a new motherboard or not. (note that I've only had this motherboard for 54 days)

Spec are:
Intel i5 quad
ati 5850
Crucial Ram DDR 1333
PSU 650
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 12:23:10 PM

Are these the components that are hot?

They likely normally run pretty hot... My first guess would be that you are getting 'thermal trips', but from your CPU - as you've reinstalled it. Dumb questions, but better than dumb assumptions: did you clean off the old thermal paste, or try to reuse it? Did you apply it in a blob or a couple lines, or did you attempt to 'spread' it with something before mounting the CPU? 'Spreading it' will almost always result in 'voids' (like air bubbles) in the paste... Is the heat-sink fan coming up and spinning as you attempt to start?
m
l
April 3, 2010 1:43:37 PM

bilbat said:
Are these the components that are hot?
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8812/0177o.jpg
They likely normally run pretty hot... My first guess would be that you are getting 'thermal trips', but from your CPU - as you've reinstalled it. Dumb questions, but better than dumb assumptions: did you clean off the old thermal paste, or try to reuse it? Did you apply it in a blob or a couple lines, or did you attempt to 'spread' it with something before mounting the CPU? 'Spreading it' will almost always result in 'voids' (like air bubbles) in the paste... Is the heat-sink fan coming up and spinning as you attempt to start?

Oh course I did and I test everything and figure out what was causing the power to not power up, The USB wiring for the front panel was backwards cause the power to not operated correctly. So first set if wire F_ USB1 Port was in correctly but the second set of F_ USB2 port wires wasn't
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 2:05:11 PM

Glad you've gotten it working...

From Osaka? Always have wanted to visit - never have had time - looks beautiful...
m
l
!