Sign in with
Your question

Help with troubleshooting Cisco 1760 router

Last response: in Networking
November 3, 2009 11:57:08 PM

I'm in my second of 4 quarters of schooling for CCNA test. I bought some used Cisco equipment hoping it would give me a leg up. Right now I have a Cisco 1760 router. I took it to class and the instructor helped me hook it up to a computer and verified it was workig. Not only that but it contained a lot of data from when SBC owned it; names, passwords, addresses, etc... We erased it and set the router to factory default. I took it home and bought a console cable, DB45- DB45. I've tried to config it using both my computers. One, newer Vista Premium and Two, WinXP. Nothing worked. I switched out the console cable for Ethernet but I got the same thing, nothing. All the lights work on the router. The fan goes, it's loud as hell. I've configured both of my PCs with static IP addresses and Subnet Masks. I've pinged and tracerouted but nothing. I do get different error messages; either all time outs or 'The destination host is unreachable.' Again, this router was working. I did not drop it. All the lights work. 2 different cables do not work on two different computers. I'm at a loss and I'm not even half way through the classes. Anybody?

Thanks in advance.
November 4, 2009 4:28:44 PM

Did you buy an actual Cisco Console cable? I know the new ones are serail port on one end and what looks like a network connection on the other. I believe they are proprietary cables.

How did you get into the switch when you were at class?
m
l
November 12, 2009 10:49:32 PM

It's a learning process. Cisco's site mentioned all I needed was a rollover cable to connect to the console. That did not work. I then went to the local big box in town to get a DB9 to RS-232 adapter. I did this because another site said this was the way. Well, the big box only had this adapter as a self wiring option. I followed the instructions and tried it with the console cable. Nothing. I then read that I could self test the DB9 serial port. I actually got feed back through the Terminal. I was all set to go now. However, when I looked at the adapter again I saw that the way I had configured it was indeed wrong. I tried pulling the wires out but half of them left their tiny leads in the adapter core. This adapter was ruined. So my first impulse was; you guessed it. I spent more money I don't have. I ordered 2 serial ports (Remember, I though the port in my WinXP box was ruined. I got the other one to fit into my Vista Premium machine because I need both computers for a lot of labs) and a full Cisco console cable. Screw this half witted way. If this doesn't work, at least I'll be broke and happy.

BTW, you are correct in that a Cisco Console Cable is serial on one end and on the other is just an RJ45 Cat 5e male end. For a rollover cable, both ends are RJ45s but the wires are a specific way. You are supposed to be able to hook up an adapter to one end and use this as a console cable. The adapter would have an RJ45 female on one side and on the other would be a DB9 female to hook up to the computer's male DB9 port. As to what we use at school, it depends. Since it's a mock up with racks of switches and routers connected virtually to the computers that are up to 20 feet away we don't use the full amount of hardware. All this is happening in my real time. I know a lot more than I did 2 weeks ago. Also, when I first posted we had not gone over everything I wrote about. But I still don't have my home lab up and running. I bought my first router in August and am now just to the point where I hope to have everything fall into place. Maybe I should get my own MTV reality show. Or not.
m
l
!