Sign in with
Your question

Can see Wireless Network but won't connect

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 17, 2010 2:43:07 AM

Hoping I can get some ideas. This is a common issue I see on the inet but nothing has worked so far. When I bring my HP Windows Prof XP laptop to a friends house I can see their network but it hangs when I attempt to connect "Please wait while Windows connects......" and never actually obtains an IP or connect:

I've tried the following to no avail:

1st - The same laptop never has an issue with other Wireless networks
2 - I accessed Linksys router and disabled WPA2
3 - I enabled MAC filtering and added my MAC address
4 - When I renabled WPA2 I verified I am entering correct key
5 - I removed the Network from my wireless list to allow my NIC to redectect it
6 - I've updated the driver on my Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 2200BG Network card

What else can I try because Im tired of having to use an ethernet cable to connect...

tx

February 17, 2010 2:58:13 AM

So if that wireless router has all security disabled and NO MAC filtering, you still can't connect?

P.S. Since it's a friend's house I realize you don't necessarily have control of that router and therefore perhaps can't disable MAC filtering, but that does make it much more difficult to diagnose. What you want is the SIMPLEST configuration possible just to see if it will connect under ANY circumstances at all.
m
l
February 17, 2010 3:07:42 AM

We accessed the router thru her laptop and complet. disabled any security. I checked on hers that it was able to connect without a ket. Then we tried by adding my MAC to the Mac Filter List...what else can I try?
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2010 3:20:00 AM

dmurray9133 said:
We accessed the router thru her laptop and complet. disabled any security. I checked on hers that it was able to connect without a ket. Then we tried by adding my MAC to the Mac Filter List...what else can I try?

I want to know what happens w/ BOTH wireless security disabled AND MAC filtering disabled, at the same time!

m
l
February 17, 2010 8:48:23 PM

Nothing happens. If I disable both I cannot connect with my laptop. It sees the network, attempts to connect but just hangs..

Not only that but if I even try to access the router from my own laptop (192.168.1.1) I get nothing which I think it strange. I would think I could at least have the router connection page come up, enter a password etc. but nothing happens when I attempt this..
m
l
February 17, 2010 9:16:19 PM

dmurray9133 said:
Nothing happens. If I disable both I cannot connect with my laptop. It sees the network, attempts to connect but just hangs..

Not only that but if I even try to access the router from my own laptop (192.168.1.1) I get nothing which I think it strange. I would think I could at least have the router connection page come up, enter a password etc. but nothing happens when I attempt this..

Do you have any information on that router? Make/model, etc. Is it using the latest firmware? I just want to know what I’m dealing w/ here. There’s always a chance it’s some oddball or ancient device, or hasn’t been updated since 2003, etc.

Also (and I realize this may not be practical), is it possible to at least reboot the friend’s router, and even better, do a factory reset? If this was YOUR router that's what I would have you do. Sometimes a router can get into a bad state. These aren't the most robust devices, the software often has lots of bugs and sometimes you can trigger a bug w/ what appears to be some innocuous change. I'm especially suspicious given you can't even bring up the web interface.

Of course, it could just be your wireless client. Any chance you could borrow another USB wireless adapter, if only to see if the problem goes away? So far it's not clear if the problem is the client or router. But I'm more suspicious of the router at the moment.
m
l
February 18, 2010 9:09:22 PM

Thanks. Im not in front of the router right now but it is a brand new out of the box linksys. As I indicated my wireless card never has a problem in other wifi areas so I am thinking it is not the issue.

I'm going to try reset the router it tonight and will post the results.
m
l
!