Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition
Antec Earthwatts EA500 500W
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
AM3 AMD 870
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870

So, greedy me, I wanted to OC my CPU to see how far it could go since I felt not enough was being used. I used this program that came with the mobo called TurboV EVO 1.02.32 (from ASUS). This allowed me to either do a "fast overclock" or an "extreme overclock". I should have done my homework, but I figured the program wouldn't go too far.

I was wrong (I think). After I selected "Extreme Overclock", the computer restarted (like it would normally do if I did "Fast Overclocking"), but seconds after, the computer made a temporary, unusual "beep" noise and then the BSOD came up seconds after that. I restarted the computer again and it went to the Windows Repair screen. That took about 20 minutes, only to realize that it could not repair anything. I restarted the computer once more and I asked it to load Windows normally. After that, it went back to normal.

At least I thought. Now there's a high-pitched noise coming from the computer. Now, it's not "loud", but it's a subtle noise, enough for you to hear it if you pay attention close enough. Once you recognize that it's there, it keeps ringing in your head. Now unless this happened before the OC, I'm pretty sure the only noise I heard was the tower fans. Now I'm pretty sure it's coming from the CPU fan because when I put my ear to the case, it's stronger when I put it close to the CPU fan. I also checked the PSU since many websites believe it might be a faulty PSU, but I put my ear to it and it runs smoothly.

Now, from reading all the websites, I came to a couple conclusions:

1.) replace the CPU fan
2.) clean the CPU fan from dust and such

I don't want to jump to conclusions, so I'd like to hear what you guys think before I make a decision.

Solution
As far as noise goes it's either your stock cooler fan or one of the Rosewill case fans.
Rosewill fans aren't known for quality = read the Newegg feedback on the Challenger.
Then unplug each case fan one at a time.
You may very well find the culprit.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
i second the 212+ havnt heard anything bad about them at all. and as he said you dont ever want to try to overclock a cpu with a stock cooler, just isnt safe and they dont work anywheres near aswell as aftermarket fan/heatsink combos

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
well i cnt really say for sure what the sound is but one way another if your gonna get into overclocking like davcon said you will need a good aftermarket cooler so its worth the investment either way weather thats the problem or not

As far as noise goes it's either your stock cooler fan or one of the Rosewill case fans.
Rosewill fans aren't known for quality = read the Newegg feedback on the Challenger.
Then unplug each case fan one at a time.
You may very well find the culprit.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.