Cannot boot after change cluster size of data partition

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Boot
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 24, 2011 11:31:27 AM

Hello,
I was using the Acronis Disk Director 11 home to change the cluster size of my Data (D:)  drive from 4KB to 64KB, after finish, my system cannot booted anymore, my system is on C: drive and I did not changed it cluster size (still keep the 4KB as default).

My system is Windows Server 2003 Std. Edt. The C: and D: drive is on one HDD that is install on ID3 of the Adaptec Raid card.

but the system can be booted by using the hiren's bootCD with the option "Boot From Hard Drive (Windows Vista/7/2008 or Xp)".

So can anybody help me to fix this error, so my system can boot back as normal (booted from system drive without hiren's bootcd).

Can I using the fdisk /fixmbr to fix this problem ??

More about : boot change cluster size data partition

a c 84 G Storage
August 24, 2011 12:19:10 PM

Your boot info is on the d: drive although the OS is on yhe c: drive
m
l
August 24, 2011 12:33:34 PM

anonymous1 said:
Your boot info is on the d: drive although the OS is on yhe c: drive

hello,
My boot info is on the c: drive
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 24, 2011 2:47:35 PM

Have you tried resizing the clusters on D: drive to their original size? My guess is that the system has a hiccup with trying to arbitrate two different HDDs with different cluster sizes.
m
l
August 24, 2011 9:15:46 PM

chesteracorgi said:
Have you tried resizing the clusters on D: drive to their original size? My guess is that the system has a hiccup with trying to arbitrate two different HDDs with different cluster sizes.

not yet. But i dont want to do that
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 25, 2011 2:12:35 AM

I know that this is not something you want to do, but if it works you then know what your problem is. You can always resize the clusters again if this proves false.
August 25, 2011 2:20:24 AM

chesteracorgi said:
I know that this is not something you want to do, but if it works you then know what your problem is. You can always resize the clusters again if this proves false.

hi Chesteracogi, ok, i'll try it & report. Tks for your suggest.
m
l
August 25, 2011 6:41:42 AM

Hi Chesteracorgi,

After convert back to 4KB Cluster size, My computer can boot back using system drive,
I then convert it again to 64KB cluster size, supprise! it can boot without hiren bootcd. I don't know why, but after all, it's worked!

tks again for your help.
m
l
September 4, 2011 12:35:34 AM

Best answer selected by soibien.
m
l
September 4, 2011 4:34:32 PM

soibien said:

After convert back to 4KB Cluster size, My computer can boot back using system drive,
I then convert it again to 64KB cluster size,

Just for curiosity, why did you change your cluster size up to 64 KB?
m
l