Cannot boot after change cluster size of data partition

soibien

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Hello,
I was using the Acronis Disk Director 11 home to change the cluster size of my Data (D:) drive from 4KB to 64KB, after finish, my system cannot booted anymore, my system is on C: drive and I did not changed it cluster size (still keep the 4KB as default).

My system is Windows Server 2003 Std. Edt. The C: and D: drive is on one HDD that is install on ID3 of the Adaptec Raid card.

but the system can be booted by using the hiren's bootCD with the option "Boot From Hard Drive (Windows Vista/7/2008 or Xp)".

So can anybody help me to fix this error, so my system can boot back as normal (booted from system drive without hiren's bootcd).

Can I using the fdisk /fixmbr to fix this problem ??

Solution
I know that this is not something you want to do, but if it works you then know what your problem is. You can always resize the clusters again if this proves false.

soibien

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

not yet. But i dont want to do that

soibien

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

hi Chesteracogi, ok, i'll try it & report. Tks for your suggest.

soibien

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Hi Chesteracorgi,

After convert back to 4KB Cluster size, My computer can boot back using system drive,
I then convert it again to 64KB cluster size, supprise! it can boot without hiren bootcd. I don't know why, but after all, it's worked!

tks again for your help.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Just for curiosity, why did you change your cluster size up to 64 KB?