Sign in with
Your question

MSI Z68MA-G45 (B3) Crashes

Last response: in Overclocking
January 27, 2012 10:02:29 PM

Hello,

I recently bought a brand new MSI Z68MA-G45 (B3) motherboard along with the following items:

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 RAM
Noctua DH-N14 Heatsink
850 Watt Viotek Pro PSU
Quad Core i7 2600k Processor
(if i need more specs added, please let me know.)

I have not yet added a graphics card into this rig but I plan to add a Radeon HD 6970 into it soon. I can not accurately determine if my problems are with the motherboard or the processor, but I randomly get system crashes. They seem random, no matter how hard I try to pinpoint their origin. I could be on netflix, playing a game, talking on skype, or just sitting idle. I am currently running at 4.0Ghz overclock, (was 4.5, lowered to see if that was the problem) which I setup when looking at a guide on this website. All my core temps are averaged around 30, so I do not think that is the problem either. When it does happen, the screen becomes fuzzy and freezes, and I hear a low buzz from my computer (or speakers??). If anyone could help me troubleshoot this issue, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Michael

More about : msi z68ma g45 crashes

a c 117 V Motherboard
a c 183 K Overclocking
January 27, 2012 10:48:38 PM

You probably have a bad stick of ram.
http://www.memtest.org/
Burn an ISO copy to disc.
Load from disc
test 1 stick at a time for at least 30min each.
You'll know real fast when you have a faulty module.
Some friendly advice = get rid of the crappy psu!
i wouldn't hook it up to that really nice gear.
m
l
January 28, 2012 2:41:20 AM

davcon said:
You probably have a bad stick of ram.
http://www.memtest.org/
Burn an ISO copy to disc.
Load from disc
test 1 stick at a time for at least 30min each.
You'll know real fast when you have a faulty module.
Some friendly advice = get rid of the crappy psu!
i wouldn't hook it up to that really nice gear.

Hi davcon, thanks for the reply. I do not currently have a CD tray for this computer (that is being delivered as we speak along with my graphics card). I tried using the USB loader but it won't identify the drive. Does the PSU have a bad record? What kind of risks would come along with using it?
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2012 2:50:07 AM

Its not the memory, the intel HD 3000 Graphics are pulling all the voltages from the vcore making his overclock unstable. Once he gets the 6970 and disables the Intel HD 3000 Graphics he will be able to Overclock a lot better.
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
a c 183 K Overclocking
January 28, 2012 5:04:07 AM

baysick said:
Hi davcon, thanks for the reply. I do not currently have a CD tray for this computer (that is being delivered as we speak along with my graphics card). I tried using the USB loader but it won't identify the drive. Does the PSU have a bad record? What kind of risks would come along with using it?

Yes i'll put my rep on it that it's terrible and is no where near delivering 850W.
http://viotekusa.com/index.html#!/
No information what so ever and no reviews and sold on ebay mostly.
It's an 850W unit with only 2 PCI-E pins.
You'll eventually have issues.
If you want to run Memtest everytime you boot off the USB stick but don't want to have to type the filename each time, create a text file on your USB stick, name it autoexec.bat, right-click, edit, type mt420.exe, save, exit. Now, whenever you boot off the stick, it will run Memtest automatically.
m
l
!