ecotox

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

I've been given a PC by a friend with a RAID 0 array (2 hard drives) which is failing to boot. I've removed the two drives and used Raid Reconstructor to save their data and that all went fine. Both hard drives appear to be working perfectly and all the data is intact. Using Raid Reconstructor I can see the combined drive and access the file structure without any problems. But it won't boot. The BIOS reads the array as failed (non-bootable).

What I would like to know is if there is any way that I can get the array to boot again for them, or will I need to format the drives and re-install windows? They don't want to lose their programs etc. unless it's absolutely necessary.

Raid Recontructor can give me various info at the array (Block size etc.) but I've not idea what to do with this info.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Ecotox

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
If your RAID array was backed up you should reconstruct the RAID array from scratch. It is a cleaner approach than trying to reconstruct an old array that has failed. If it was backed up properly you should produce a clone of the original when you restore it.

If I were doing this I would reconstruct the array from scratch and acid test it before I reconstructed it. I would also look into converting to a RAID 5 or RAID 10 to prevent future problems.

I agree (once again) with Chestoracorgi. However, if you want to try booting from your reconstructed RAID0, you may need to make the volume bootable again. This would require booting from the XP installation disk, using F6 to load the necessary drivers (no, I don't know which ones), and doing a Repair install.

-----------------------------------

I'm seeing a lot of failed RAID 0 volumes recently from people who didn't deliberately build a RAID 0. Is this yet another Dell machine?

ecotox

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Yep, it's a Dell! My mate custom ordered it online and asked for a 320GB hard drive. He had no idea that he had two 160GB hard drives in RAID0 till I showed him yesterday!

I appreciate that it's cleaner to start over again but as he doesn't have any sort of backup I said I'd at least try and get it working again before I have to resort to a fresh install. I'll give the xp repair a try. Is that the only way? There's no way to repair the raid by connecting the hard drives to my PC?

ecotox

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks for the advice! When you say start The array from scratch could you explain a little further what you mean? They don't have any sort of backup but I can connect the drives to my PC and create disc images of each. Would this be any use?