Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

:::Pentium 4 Club:::Post Your P4 Here

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 30, 2009 1:57:36 PM

Hi guys,



My pc specs are:

Intel Pentium 4 630 @ 3.83GHz
Asus P5KPL-AM/PS
2048 MB DDR2 RAM
Intel(R) G31 Chipset
Samsung 2233SW
Seagate 250GB SATA 7200.12
Zebronics Bijli

Post ur P4 pc here!

More about : pentium club post

a b à CPUs
December 30, 2009 2:05:06 PM

Pentium4 Celeron 2.66Ghz (I can swap to a 2.0Ghz Northwood)
Asus P4P800VM
2x512 MB Ram
80Gig Drive
DVDReader
CDWritter
MicroATX Case with 350W PSU
ATI RadeonX850XT 256MB

For sell :p  100$ Canadian.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2009 2:19:49 PM

I will give you my celeron for 60$ without the Radeon and you can burn it
10$ mail in rebate if you upload me the video
20$ if you record it and you arranged it to explode.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 30, 2009 2:24:24 PM

I can beat all of you

Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz Northwood
ECS Socket 478 MicroATX Mobo
40GB Maxtor IDE 5400RPM HDD
2x128MB DDR RAM
Generic CD-RW Reader
OnBoard SiS GPU
m
0
l
December 30, 2009 3:20:25 PM

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Prescott OC to 3.2Ghz
PC Chips Skt 478 VIA Chipset Mobo w/ DDR2 and PCI-E support
1GB DDR2-800
Some old 40GB IDE drive I had laying arround.

Had my 8600GTS in this box and was using for folding before I moved, havent had time to set it up in the new house yet, and gave the 8600 to my brother for Christmas.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2009 3:55:07 PM

3.2GHz Prescott OC to 3.4GHz
3GB DDR400 CAS2 in dual channel
Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard
80GB System drive
160GB Data drive
GeForce 6800 Ultra 128MB
Creative Audigy 2

8 years old and still going strong (ish)
m
0
l
a c 99 à CPUs
December 30, 2009 5:39:11 PM

Aneesh@4GHz said:
Hi guys,

My pc specs are:

Intel Pentium 4 630 @ 3.83GHz
Asus P5KPL-AM/PS
2048 MB DDR2 RAM
Intel(R) G31 Chipset
Samsung 2233SW
Seagate 250GB SATA 7200.12
Zebronics Bijli

Post ur P4 pc here!


All right, I have a couple of these guys:

1. Old laptop
- Gateway 600YG2
- Intel Mobile Pentium 4-M 2.20 GHz: 1.20/1.30 Vcore, 35 W TDP, 400 MHz FSB, Socket 478
- 512 MB -> 1.0 GB -> 1.5 GB of DDR-266 SODIMMs
- Intel 845PM + ICH3-M chipset
- ATi Radeon M9000 (RV250LF) 64 MB DDR/128-bit
- 15.7" 1280x1024 panel
- Toshiba POS 4200 rpm 60 GB HDD -> Hitachi Travelstar 5K100

This machine still runs, although the display controller or GPU is faulty and the screen has a lot of artifacs if it runs for very long.

2. File server
- Two Intel Xeon 2.40 GHz "Prestonia-B" (Northwood-B equivalent) 1.50 Vcore, 75 W TDP, 533 MHz FSB, Socket 604*
- Two 670-gram solid copper Dynatron H66G 70 mm heatsinks
- Intel SE7501CW2 dual Socket 604 SSI EEB motherboard
- Intel E7501 + ICH3-S + P64H2 chipset
- 4x 256 MB registered ECC DDR-266
- Silicon Image 3114 32-bit 33 MHz PCI SATA-150 controller (will most likely replace it with a PCI-X based unit soon as this guy is poky)
- Seagate 7200.11 1 TB + WD Caviar SE16 250 GB

*Will be replaced in a few days with two 3.20 GHz/2 MB L3/533 FSB Gallatins that I picked up for $20/pair. In case you're not familiar with those units, they're the Xeon version of the original Pentium 4 Extreme Edition :D 

I got this guy off eBay a few months ago for a pittance as a RAM/mobo/CPU/heatsink combo after my existing 1 GHz PIII file/print/backup server decided to bite the dust. I had to replace the original 1U copper base/aluminum fin passive heatsinks ASAP as they could jut barely keep the CPUs from overheating under load even with a 3000 rpm 80 mm case fan attached to the top of each heatsink (temps were about 45 C idle/high 60s load) and a pair of 120 mm side case fans pointed directly at the CPUs. The Dynatron units dropped that to a low 30s idle and full-load temps between 40 and 45 C with the heatsink fans running at 2500 rpm, which is as slowly as the Zalman Fan-Mates connected to them let them turn. Now that the thermal issues were under control, I am having this unit help out with video encoding. The Prestonias are okay but a bit poky in that regard, which is why the pair of Gallatins are on their way- they should speed things up pretty noticeably.
m
0
l
a c 99 à CPUs
December 30, 2009 6:14:18 PM

Quote:
You guys should take those computers outside, douce them with gasoline and watch them burn. Netburst processors :lol: 


Nah, the only ones that are really junk are the Socket 423 units as they are hitched to some poor chipsets that use PC133 or even worse, RDRAM. The rest of them can be useful for lower-power tasks as they support enough RAM and have enough CPU grunt to do those tasks, plus they're dirt cheap and widely available. Not all of us have the money to dump a grand or more into a new computer every year or to get a new computer for secondary tasks like an HTPC, file server, or a testing machine. So we keep our older machines or get cheap/free used ones for certain tasks. Chances are they're going to be P4s since they're about the oldest machines to still be widely useful and the P4s grossly outsold the Athlon XPs and A64s of the day.

The P4 wasn't the best design out there, but many of them are not horrible. The Northwoods managed to outpace AMD's offerings of the day and they weren't much hotter either. On the server front, the 130 nm Xeons' E75xx chipsets were a ton better than the Athlon MPs' 760-series chipset and made for a notably better server platform. The 65 nm NetBursts weren't horrible chips either as they were typically very inexpensive, didn't run all that hot, and overclocked very well. The only P4s I consider to be horrible are the Socket 423 Willamettes and the Prescott. The S423 Willamettes were hard-pressed to outperform the Pentium III, let alone anything from AMD. They were also ridiculously expensive and ran in a horrible platform (850E with RDRAM or 845 with single-channel PC133.) The Prescotts were not that great as they performed worse than the Northwoods at similar clock speeds, ran hotter than Northwoods at similar clock speeds, and didn't have a lower cost to match that. The Smithfields weren't great but at least there were some pretty inexpensive ones like the overclocker-friendly Pentium D 805 to make up for it.
m
0
l
December 30, 2009 6:26:44 PM

I hope Pentium D's count.

Pentium D 925 3.0GHz
2GB DDRII
XP PRO SP3
2600PRO

This is my spare 'gaming' rig at my dad's house, it limps along playing TF2 (damn you valve for making source such a cpu whore)
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2009 6:41:40 PM

MU_Engineer said:
Nah, the only ones that are really junk are the Socket 423 units as they are hitched to some poor chipsets that use PC133 or even worse, RDRAM. The rest of them can be useful for lower-power tasks as they support enough RAM and have enough CPU grunt to do those tasks, plus they're dirt cheap and widely available. Not all of us have the money to dump a grand or more into a new computer every year or to get a new computer for secondary tasks like an HTPC, file server, or a testing machine. So we keep our older machines or get cheap/free used ones for certain tasks. Chances are they're going to be P4s since they're about the oldest machines to still be widely useful and the P4s grossly outsold the Athlon XPs and A64s of the day.

The P4 wasn't the best design out there, but many of them are not horrible. The Northwoods managed to outpace AMD's offerings of the day and they weren't much hotter either. On the server front, the 130 nm Xeons' E75xx chipsets were a ton better than the Athlon MPs' 760-series chipset and made for a notably better server platform. The 65 nm NetBursts weren't horrible chips either as they were typically very inexpensive, didn't run all that hot, and overclocked very well. The only P4s I consider to be horrible are the Socket 423 Willamettes and the Prescott. The S423 Willamettes were hard-pressed to outperform the Pentium III, let alone anything from AMD. They were also ridiculously expensive and ran in a horrible platform (850E with RDRAM or 845 with single-channel PC133.) The Prescotts were not that great as they performed worse than the Northwoods at similar clock speeds, ran hotter than Northwoods at similar clock speeds, and didn't have a lower cost to match that. The Smithfields weren't great but at least there were some pretty inexpensive ones like the overclocker-friendly Pentium D 805 to make up for it.


I was under the impression the Pentium4 Willamette was not all that bad when paired with PC800 Ram which was too expensive while sucked terribly with SD133 and same goes with the newer ones on skt476 and DDR ram

Aside from that I totally agree... I got my hands on a few that I Recovered for free and resold for under 100$ to people who just needs a basic computer.
m
0
l
December 30, 2009 6:46:11 PM

There's just something I liked about netburst, they weren't trying to win with efficiency or anything like that, Intel was trying to win with brute force.

Lets build a cpu with as high of a clock, with as much l2 cache and not give a crap about heat as possible!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2009 6:53:07 PM

i have an old IBM with a P4, don't remember which one, haven't turned it on in months, used to be my firewall
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2009 8:05:56 PM

Nice celery
m
0
l
a c 99 à CPUs
December 30, 2009 9:09:52 PM

C00lIT said:
I was under the impression the Pentium4 Willamette was not all that bad when paired with PC800 Ram which was too expensive while sucked terribly with SD133 and same goes with the newer ones on skt476 and DDR ram


The faster (1.7-2.0 GHz) Willamettes with PC800 RDRAM or DDR-266 weren't great, but they weren't horrible. The 1.7-2.0 Willamettes were at least fast enough to outrun the PIIIs, although they weren't faster than the less-expensive AMD K7s of the day. The biggest problem with the RDRAM-using Willamettes was the exorbitant cost of the RDRAM. The fact that Socket 423 only supported one revision of the P4 also soured a lot of people on the Willamettes too. The Socket 478 Willamettes with DDR were okay and not ridiculously expensive, but by the time the 845 DDR chipset came out, the notably-faster P4 Northwoods were out and made the Willamettes less attractive.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2009 9:32:00 PM

I am typing this from my work PC, it is a 2.0ghz Northwood with 512meg of PC800 RDRAM. This thing has run problem free for years, but you can't get in a hurry, that is for sure. :) 
m
0
l
December 30, 2009 9:55:15 PM

the title should say pathetic club.
m
0
l
December 30, 2009 10:06:39 PM

Pentium Northwood @ 1.6GHz
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2009 10:25:13 PM

2.8 ghz intel P4 presscot HT

Gigabyte ga-8IPE1000 Pro2 motherboard

2 gig of ddr1 ram

EVGA 256MB GF6200 ddr2 AGP Video

160 GB sata1 WD drive, 80 GB IDE Seagate drive

400 watt PSU

32 bit XP pro



(will get better image later.)
m
0
l
a c 99 à CPUs
December 31, 2009 12:26:23 AM

Quote:
Agreed Bro. I still have a Dual 2.8Ghz SL8MA Precision 670 i use for file storage. Has 16GB of ram and 2 TB drives and it works very decent for what it is.


What disk controller do you have in that machine and how well does it work? I'm looking to put a better controller than the $20 SiI 3114-based unit in my server as it is pretty slow (it bottlenecks at about 40 MB/sec in disk I/O) and am curious to see what others are running.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2009 2:40:46 AM

Well, up until fairly recently, I had a P4 Northwood 2.8GHz with a Radeon 9700 pro. That was a nice system back when I got it (I loved that 9700 :) ).
m
0
l
December 31, 2009 11:39:29 AM

htoonthura said:
the title should say pathetic club.


What wit.
m
0
l
December 31, 2009 12:35:29 PM

Add me to the club. Got this in 2003 or 2004 and have done multiple upgrades since then. This is now my secondary PC.

Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case
Asus P4P800 Deluxe Socket 478 Motherboard
Pentium 4 2.4GHz Northwood & Pentium 4 3.4GHz Prescott (currently using the Prescott)
GeForce 6800GS 256MB (or 512? I forgot!) AGP Video Card
3GB Kingston DDR400 CAS3 (3-3-3-8) Memory in Dual Channel Mode
Western Digital 160GB IDE Hard Drive
Maxtor 80GB IDE Hard Drive
52X CD Burner (does not show up in BIOS or Windows but drive tray opens when button is pressed......mobo issue??)
DVD Player (same as above)
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 4:05:40 PM

hi guys

here's an oldie for you, it's my longest running rig and just won't die,

Intel P4 3.2GHz prescott with HT
Gigabyte 3D Rocket CPU cooler
DFI Lanparty Pro 875 Rev. A motherboard
Axper DDR400 512Mb x4 = 2Gb RAM in dual channel mode
ASUS ATI Radeon 3650 graphics card with 512Mb RAM
WD Caviar 7200rpm 80Gb IDE primary drive and a Samsung Spinmaster 1Tb for storage
Antec P180 Black chassis, full ATX, modified with a perspex side panel and 4x LED 120mm fans

i kept adding to this machine over the years and have owned it for going on 6 years now, other than a minor bios issue, not serious but irritating, i have had no problems at all with this machine.

IT JUST WONT DIE!!!!!!!
m
0
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 4, 2012 4:06:44 PM

Hmmm, when did this start..

Ah 2009, a bit late i see but who cares?

Pentium 4 521 2.8GHz w/HT
2GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Raedon X1650SE
500GB RAM
HP DC7600 SFF.

Also have a PGA478 P4 laying around.
m
0
l
!