Bios and windows 7

tdewis

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Hello,
i have a new computer with an ASUS P7P55D deluxe motherboard. I upgraded the bios to the last November bios through the utility provided by ASUS through my Windows 7. now Although i can get through POST as soon as Windows attempts to start it freezes. I have tried the repair module on the ultimate disk and i have Put everything in BIOS to standard settings but no go....HELP!

Thanks In Advance if anyone can help me

Tony

Solution
Try taking the battery ou of motherboard to clear the CMOS if that dont work I would try reflashing the right way. It is a very bad idea to flash the bios via windows download the bios and eithier put on a flash drive or a cd and use the EZ flash at the post screen to flash it.
Try taking the battery ou of motherboard to clear the CMOS if that dont work I would try reflashing the right way. It is a very bad idea to flash the bios via windows download the bios and eithier put on a flash drive or a cd and use the EZ flash at the post screen to flash it.

Solution

tdewis

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

Thanks very much for the Advice, As it is 12.30 am in the morning i will give it a go later on. Why do ASUS provide the flashing utility on their motherboard disk specifically for windows if it is a bad way to do it?

Thanks again much appreciated

Tony

tdewis

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Thanks SAAIELLO,
I took the battery out and cleared the CMOS...no good so I got a memory stick used another computer downloaded the Bios from Asus (The china site worked the others didn't) and reflashed through the Bios...presto !! all now works perfectly. Did learn though to set the bios to setup defaults before flashing otherwise problems like mine will occur.
Thanks for you advice.
Tony.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Something is very wrong here. First, it is not necessary to apply BIOS defaults before updating it. Secondly, if you could see BIOS post after updating it through Windows, that means the BIOS updated successfully. But if Windows froze upon starting, then something other than BIOS update was wrong.

Therefore, your assumption that update was successful after second attempt with flash disk is incorrect. I agree that the update is better done outside of Windows, but your problem here is different. I am glad you solved your problem. You do not seem to know how you did it.

Regards

tdewis

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

Hi Suat, thanks for your interest and post,
reading on the ASUS site it states that you should set the bios to setup default because if you overclock your bios and then reflash with another bios you could potentially have problems. I am quite satisfied my problem was Bios initiated as the first go was through windows with the November bios release, the second was the latest Bios through through the EZ flash option in BIOS.

I had previously thought it was Windows 7 because it had gone through POST succesfully and brought up the windows splash screen but running the windows 7 repair utility a number of times it stated it could not find a problem with it's start up boot.
At the end of the day I don't know if it was an incompatability issue with Windows 7 and the November Bios or that there was a corruption in the BIOS....it works and all is well in the land of OZ.!

Thanks to everyone, hope my little incident provides some further information to anyone else that has had this problem.

Cheers and goodnight (12.15 am in South Aussie!)