Sign in with
Your question

Need Overclocking Guide for Noobs (Asrock Mobo)

Last response: in Overclocking
January 28, 2012 1:14:52 AM

Hi guys, i've decided to get a gaming system in preparation for Diablo III, and after reading/watching many reviews this is what i've decided on

Intel i5-2500k - $275
Asrock z68 gen3 extreme 3 - $269
Corsair/G.skillz/Ripsaw 8GB (2x4) 1600Mhz DDR3 9cas - $85
Nvidia GTX 560-ti, probably the MSI 2GB DDR5 Twin Frozr II - $395
Corsair HX650 Modular PSU -$158
1 Tb HDD Western Digital caviar black 64Mb 7200RPM - $209
Corsair force series 3 SSD 60GB - $145
Corsair H60 high performance hydro cooler (for CPU) - $129
21" - 23" monitor at 1920 X 1080 resolution - $300
Simple disk drive - $50
Gaming casing - $100
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (OEM) - $115
Decent KB/Mouse - $100

Total = $2330, or 1408 Euros

Prices in Singapore Dollar, 1USD = 1.254 SGD, 1 Euro = 1.654 SGD

If anyone has suggestions regarding a better part for a reasonable price do tell me! I'm unsure what monitor would be good, as well as the gaming case. The above prices are the cheapest i could find at local shops. We don't have newegg or any big suppliers with cheaper prices.

I'm using the 60GB Corsair SSD to cache data, so i'll install Win7 and everything else on the HDD while setting up the entire SSD for caching. (not sure if i'm talking rubbish at this point i'm completely new to this but i read somewhere about the SRT technology in the z68 board and how the SSD used for caching can improve performance like shortening load screen times)

What i need help with is a guide to overclocking my CPU. I don't intend to overclock my GPU unless someone advises otherwise. For the CPU, i would ideally like to hit 4.3-4.5 Ghz while maintaining a safe temperature. If anyone could post me link to a guide to overclocking it would be greatly appreciated! =) i'm completely new at this so i have no idea where to even start, i read something about making sure my computer is RAID ready or stuff like that, plus the confusion of wanting to set up the SSD as a cache system i have no idea if i should connect both the HDD and SSD first, then install Win7 or just the HDD.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2012 1:59:10 AM

I am in the process of OCing my 2500k too! I have successfully hit 4.5Ghz with the same exact motherboard and cooler.

Do you know the basics to OCing? That really helps just to know the basics. I am no expert, but I think I can help you.

Disable Spread Spectrum. Enable PLL overvoltage and Load-Line Calibration. Load-Line should already be at auto which runs it at level 5 under load, so you shouldn't need to touch it really.

Under ISS (Intel SpeedStep) turn short and long power duration to 250w.

Turn Core Current Limit to 300w

Turn multiplier from auto to manual

Turn Vcore to .020v in offset mode

Now you are ready to get started. Change the multiplier + 1 and boot. Do that until it fails to boot or you have achieved the overclock you want. If it fails before you hit the overclock you want, add more Vcore, but only by a little bit. ADDING TOO MUCH VCORE CAN KILL THE CPU!

Make sure voltage and temps are good with HWMonitor and test the CPU's stability by Using Prime95. Also, make sure RAM timings and voltages are set properly.

Max temp when testing should not excede 80-85C and maximum voltage should not excede 1.4v with every good cooling

If you want to know my settings, I can post them.
m
l
January 28, 2012 2:35:26 AM

nice! i will try when i get the set up soon. Some people are telling me the Asrock isnt that great so i might go for the Asus z68 vpro or something along those lines. If its not too much trouble it would be great to see your settings so i can just follow them, i'm a complete noob at this =)
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 23, 2012 11:26:03 AM

@HostileDonut.. How did you determine your short and long power duration?
As well as the Core Current Limit?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 23, 2012 4:00:16 PM

hansen6 said:
nice! i will try when i get the set up soon. Some people are telling me the Asrock isnt that great so i might go for the Asus z68 vpro or something along those lines. If its not too much trouble it would be great to see your settings so i can just follow them, i'm a complete noob at this =)

ASROCK is great and was founded by ASUS, so it has a lot of ASUS tech. :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 23, 2012 4:04:07 PM

envy14tpe said:
@HostileDonut.. How did you determine your short and long power duration?
As well as the Core Current Limit?

The core current limit is basically how many watts can run through the CPU at once. If you have it @ 95w like default and the CPU needs more than 95w, the CPU will throttle. Example, if you set it to 4.5Ghz and it goes over 95w, it will go down to 4.4, 4.3, 4.2, etc until it is below 95w.

Those are just values that works with the CPU because it won't use more than 150w for 4.5Ghz. I meant 150w though.
m
l
!