[New system Build] Stuff on the Horizon?

Mimicker

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: between now and Christmas

BUDGET RANGE: 1500-2000 (although definitely aiming for former over the latter)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming of all sorts

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, HDs

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, although if someone has a non-CA site with similar pricing so I can avoid sales tax that'd be wonderful.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

OVERCLOCKING: Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Likely later

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

I'm currently in the middle of planning out my new computer. Its been a few years and I of course have to play a bunch of catchup to figure out what is good and such. This cycle happens pretty much every few years for me and it seems that it never fails that soon as I place my order I open up a website the next day and find out about some incredible new "thing" coming out in a week or whatever.

So... I figured I'd try to avoid that at least a little bit. I'll be building this system sometime before Christmas. Are there any incredible things on the horizon that I should be planning for? I know about the new 58xx Radeons, I know about the new Lynnfield CPUs, I even know about the hexcore 1366 i7s that are supposed to come along sometime next year. Is there anything else that I'm missing that's about to hit the market in the next 2-3 months? Anything much beyond that and I think I'm good with missing for now.

Planned parts:
Power Supply: Corsair 850W
Case: HAF 932 (already have)
CPU: i7 920
Motherboard: Asus P6T SE
Memory: 6GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600
Video Card: Radeon 5870
HD: couple of WD 7200 SATAs that I have currently
Cooling:custom water loop from petrastechshop.com, mostly swiftech parts
Total at the moment is right around $1600

The plan currently is the parts listed above. I'm going to do water on the CPU for now and OC it up to 4+ and then sometime next year I plan to get a 2nd 5870 + blocks for both to make a loop for them (and of course OC'em). Figure I can also add another 6GB down the road, and even further down the road I'll get a hexacore (which is the reason I went for a 1366 rather than a new 1156).

On the water cooling... I plan on using a 360 rad right now and am I thinking that should be enough to also handle the 2 GPUs. If I am OCing the CPU to 4GHz or so do I need to worry about cooling the motherboard chips also? Is a 360 going to be enough for all 3? (CPU + 2GPU)

Need more details? Suggestions on things that I missed?

Mimicker

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Thanks.

Wow that motherboard sounds pretty cool. Not quite cool enough for me to hold off though :)

the new nVidia and the x2 both will likely be outside my willing price range I'm guessing so I'm ok with missing them.

In other news I found another thread with a link to a i7 920 for just 200 and just had to jump on that, so my processor is now settled.