Rate this gaming build !

Rate this build for gaming. If you see anything that can use improvement or that I am missing please feel free to add.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: End of Month

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming , Media , Internet,

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:CD/DVD Burner/Mouse/Keyboard/Headset/Speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES:
i7

OVERCLOCKING:
Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quiet and Powerful

CPU Fan: Thermalright CoGage True Spirit
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9403/?campid=bmr $39.99

Additional Fans: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6174/fan-344/Yate_Loon_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_D12SH-12.html
Yate Loon 120mm x 25mm Fan D12SH x3 - $20.99 (1 for CPU Replacement, 2 for Case)

Additional LGA1366 Clip:
Thermalright LGA1366 Bolt-Thru $9.99

Total Price: $69.99



Processor:

Core i7 920 (Overclocking to 4.0GHZ)
MicroCenter Walk-In Only

Total Price: $199.99


Ram:
Corsair Dominator 6GB 1600

Fry's Store
http://www.frys.com/product/5839543?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Total Price: $139.99



Motherboard and Powersupply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.269768
Corsair 750HX
Evga E758 3-Way SLI


Total Price: $404.99



Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

HAF 932


Total Price: $139.99



Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161301

HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870

Total Price: $384.99




Monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

Asus 24" 2ms 1920 Res. 1080P

Total Price: $219.99


Sound Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

Total Price: $99.99



Hardrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181&Tpk=Spinpoint%20F3

Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB x 2 in RAID 0

Total Price: $109.99


Final Price: $1750
29 answers Last reply
More about rate gaming build
  1. I would suggest this combo, it wont give you raid 0 so it will be slightly slower on boot times but it will save you quite a bit
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.273738
    the case has an Antec TP-750 Blue which is a nice modular power supply that provides slightly more than a corsair 750TX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371022

    Have you considered the LGA 1156 based i7 860? It will save you a fair amount on platform costs vs the LGA 1366 based i7 920.
  2. Based on you name "DaChicagoBearz", I would look for the Microcenter in the Chicago area (if you are from there). They have the i7 920 for $199.99, which is a good savings.

    Also, I recommend holding off on the sound card. Today's MOBO's have pretty good onboard sound, so an additional sound card isn't always required for good sound. If you don't like the sound, you can add the sound card later.

    Hunter315 brings up a good point on a i7 860 build but I still support the i7 920 :D
  3. Hey Hunter315 thanks for the opinion. I just think the HAF 932 is a better case, plus I'm not really a fan of the PSU in the Antec 1200 (It's big and clunky :o). If you can convince me otherwise I'm open to listen. Btw, my PSU is the HX not TX, not sure if you noticed that or not :).

    Yea I'm going to check out Micro Center, I've heard about the deal as well. Do you know if they're products are new and legit as well ?

    One more question. Is it worth going with the 5870 or should I just get 1 5850 for now and maybe Crossfire in the future?
  4. Also, Is the Platnium OCZ worth the extra cost over the Gold OCZ ? Both of them have combo deals, it's like a $30 difference.
  5. Microcenter is legit! I visit the one in Cincinnati weekly to browse and buy. Also, Microcenter had the HAF 932 for $119, which was a good deal (not sure if they still do or not)

    I think it is worth the xtra cost do to the better timings but the additional $30 is your call.
  6. why py extra for a 3 way sli mb when you are using a single ati gfx card?

    Thats just throwing money away imo
  7. At your resolution, I would go with the 5870 and Crossfire it down the road, over the 5850.
  8. The HAF has a bigger footprint 2.5" deeper and 0.6 wider than the 1200 but the 1200 is 1.4" taller.

    HAF = 22.7 x 9 x 21.5
    1200 = 20.2 x 8.4 x 22.90

    But mostly it's a styling issue. The HAF tho provides 3 pin fan connections if your MoBo has enough headers or you're using a fan controller but adapters are ez enuff to find.

    The Signature series which is the equivalent to the HX from Corsair.....btw, if it was me, I'd move up to the 850 Signature or HX if considering twin GFX cards and OC'ing in da future. As for big and clunky, the HX and Signatures are exactly the same size. I'd be hard pressed to argue one over the other though if using the Antec case, I'd say use the Antec PSU

    On that note, I'd like to see you in a bigger cooler like the Prolimatech Megahalems

    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8807/cpu-pro-01/Prolimatech_Megahalems_Rev_B_Intel_CPU_Heatsink_LGA_775_1156_1366_AM2_AM2_AM3_Hot_Item.html

    It's big brother the Mega Shadow comes w/ two sets of fan clips so if you order the Magahalems, make sure to order an extra set I used these fans on mine.

    I agree on the sound card issue w/ the other post. Most hi end boards have decent on board sound or, as in the Asus Rampage 2 Extreme, provide a daughter card w/ very fine sound.
  9. JackNaylorPE said:
    On that note, I'd like to see you in a bigger cooler like the Prolimatech Megahalems

    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8807/cpu-pro-01/Prolimatech_Megahalems_Rev_B_Intel_CPU_Heatsink_LGA_775_1156_1366_AM2_AM2_AM3_Hot_Item.html

    It's big brother the Mega Shadow comes w/ two sets of fan clips so if you order the Magahalems, make sure to order an extra set I used these fans on mine.

    I have to kindly disagree on this one. The Cogage is pretty close to matching the cooling performance of it's big brother the Thermalright "TRUE", which equals the performance of the Prolimatech Megahelm. With it's performance at less than 1/2 of the Prolimatech, it is well worth the purchase... IMO !!
  10. Actually it beats out the Prolimatech in the latest Frozencpu Review.
  11. Outlander_04 said:
    why py extra for a 3 way sli mb when you are using a single ati gfx card?

    Thats just throwing money away imo



    Because I'm going to crossfire eventually and the 5870 is a big card. Plus, I need a highend mobo for OCing.
  12. tecmo34 said:
    Microcenter is legit! I visit the one in Cincinnati weekly to browse and buy. Also, Microcenter had the HAF 932 for $119, which was a good deal (not sure if they still do or not)

    I think it is worth the xtra cost do to the better timings but the additional $30 is your call.



    Nice, thanks.

    Anyone else on the OCZ Gold vs Plat.

    Also, are Corsair Dominators worth the high cost or is the performance not noticeable?
  13. DaChicagoBearz said:
    Because I'm going to crossfire eventually and the 5870 is a big card. Plus, I need a highend mobo for OCing.


    you dont need a high end sli board for crossfire unless you are VERY special
  14. Go with the 5870, it'll be enough gaming power for at least a year
  15. Avoid OCZ Ram. They suck. I RMA'd 3 sets of OCZ Platinum so far in the past 3 months and I'm still waiting for all of them to return.
  16. masterasia said:
    Avoid OCZ Ram. They suck. I RMA'd 3 sets of OCZ Platinum so far in the past 3 months and I'm still waiting for all of them to return.

    OCZ RAM is just fine. The possibility of getting three bad sets in a row is highly unlikely. That would suggest incorrect RAM settings more than faulty RAM. A lot of people don't seem to realize they need to manually set RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs in the BIOS.
  17. shortstuff_mt said:
    OCZ RAM is just fine. The possibility of getting three bad sets in a row is highly unlikely. That would suggest incorrect RAM settings more than faulty RAM. A lot of people don't seem to realize they need to manually set RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs in the BIOS.


    I did do that, otherwise they wouldn't run at 1066 Mhz and default to 800 Mhz. But still OCZ sucks. I will always look beyond them from now on. I've been having no problems with my 3 sets Mushkin Redline. I think they're better than Corsair XMS. Now that I said this, when I get home, my Mushkin ram is going to die on me and I'm going to have to resort the the OCZ Platinum I took out of it.
  18. Well at Fry's I just found Corsair Dominator's 6GB 1600 for $139.99.

    http://www.frys.com/product/5839543?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

    :], plus I'm definitely going to go to Fry's and Microcenter to check out other deals.
  19. What do you guy's think about Intel SSD or OCZ SSD ?
  20. Intel is the best, than followed by OCZ, so you are good both ways
  21. These I bought and are enjoyed by 91% of the people that bought them:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145236

    They are 8-8-8-24, by the way.

    pinibo
  22. DaChicagoBearz said:
    Well at Fry's I just found Corsair Dominator's 6GB 1600 for $139.99.

    http://www.frys.com/product/5839543?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

    :], plus I'm definitely going to go to Fry's and Microcenter to check out other deals.


    I picked up the last set at my frys.. at least thats what they told me.
    Mine came out to $152.24 after tax but compared to its retail at newegg, its a steal IMO.


    I'm also looking for a good deal on the Intel SSD but it looks like most are out of stock atm
  23. Yea Im wondering if it's just better to raid0 hdds for now.Plus prices of SSDs continue to go down. Best I've seen so far is the 120GB for $300 and 80GB for $220, that is the Intel XM-25 G2. Plus, it doesn't support TRIM :[.

    Anyways, if you think I need a different MOBO that can OC to 3.8ghz let me know. For now this Evga and the Asus V2 Deluxe are a tossup.
  24. bump
  25. If you can afford it, SSD will provide better speed even over a RAID setup. I'm not a fan of a RAID setup do to the higher risk of data lost if you have any drive errors.

    I like the EVGA MOBO (wonder why?? :D) but a lot more people recommend the ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe. I would say get the newer ASUS P6TD Deluxe, if you don't go with EVGA.
  26. DaChicagoBearz said:
    Rate this build for gaming. If you see anything that can use improvement or that I am missing please feel free to add.

    APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: End of Month

    SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming , Media , Internet,

    PARTS NOT REQUIRED:CD/DVD Burner/Mouse/Keyboard/Headset/Speakers

    PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.newegg.com

    PARTS PREFERENCES:
    i7

    OVERCLOCKING:
    Yes
    SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes in the future

    MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

    ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quiet and Powerful

    CPU Fan: Thermalright CoGage True Spirit
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9403/?campid=bmr $39.99

    Additional Fans: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6174/fan-344/Yate_Loon_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_D12SH-12.html
    Yate Loon 120mm x 25mm Fan D12SH x3 - $20.99 (1 for CPU Replacement, 2 for Case)

    Additional LGA1366 Clip:
    Thermalright LGA1366 Bolt-Thru $9.99

    Total Price: $69.99



    Processor and Ram Combo:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.272687

    Core i7 920
    OCZ Gold 6GB DD3 1600 Ram


    Total Price: $377.99



    Motherboard and Powersupply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.269769
    Corsair 750HX
    Evga E758 3-Way SLI


    Total Price: $399.99



    Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

    HAF 932


    Total Price: $139.99



    Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161301

    HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870

    Total Price: $384.99




    Monitor:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

    Asus 24" 2ms 1920 Res. 1080P

    Total Price: $219.99


    Sound Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024

    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

    Total Price: $99.99



    Hardrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181&Tpk=Spinpoint%20F3

    Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB x 2 in RAID 0

    Total Price: $109.99


    Final Price: $1802.92


    HEY NICE BUILD MAN ! very similar to what i am building ! So i would say go with the gigabyte x58 ud5 mobo and lose the soundcard this will keep the price point the same ! your using a ATI 5870 GREAT choice so thats crossfire in the future ! RIGHT? your gonna buy another card so go up tp 1000w power supply ! And hey why not just get the thermalright ultra 120 comes with everything you need even thermal paste and brackets.. Do not buy the sound card if your gonna get the UD5 mobo as it may not fit and it has onboard anyway why bother! Also ASUS makes a great monitor i bought the 25.5 vw266h and its smoking 4.5 out of 5 ! Good luck and dont forget ITS YOUR BUILD ! dont listen to the fanboys listen to the FACTS !
  27. Dont get a 1KW PSU, when a good 750 like the 750TX or antec TP-750 blue will handle 2 5870s quite well. If you arent going to get the combo with the 750TX then definitely take a look at the TP-750 blue, its modular and cost less(before the 750TX's rebate)
  28. Freeraven... The OP doesn't require 1000w PSU to Crossfire. They will be okay with the 750w since the newer cards require less power. If you want to be on the safe side, pick up either a Corsair 850TX or HX.

    I agree with the rest of your comments :)

    Edit: Hunter315... You are up to your old tricks again... Posting the same message content just before I do!! :p or I'm just tired and typed slow :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product