Core i7 vs core 2 quad or duo

mrtytech

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
what is the difference in these processors and which would be the best for a laptop. also, best laptop for engineer/construction inspector; asus,lenovo, and toshiba were suggested. your opinion would be appreciated.

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

The i7 will be faster if you are doing things that are cpu intensive like mathematical computations. If you are using it for surfing the web or something like that there will be little to no difference.
This site has mobile cpus benched: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

If you know what programs you will be running on the laptop you can look up benchmarks for those programs to give you a better idea of the difference.

As far as brand goes I like Lenovo, Sony, MSI, Asus, and Acer. Toshiba is ok, but from my experience if you have a problem with it you will always have a problem with it, even after they “fix” it. Also I believe every Toshiba that I have worked with (6 if I remember correctly) has had its graphics card burn up within 5 years.

If you are looking at a few laptops, you can post them and people will give you feed back on them. Best of luck with finding a laptop,

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Their architecture,( the way they were created). I would say the i7 would be good, but still, no laptophas an i7, just Core 2 duos!

Dell and HP both offer laptops that come with mobile i7s as does Asus.

That being said, The i7 will provide the best performance, but also the weakest battery life. The Core2Duos provide a good balance of power and battery life.