Upgraded Mobo/CPU, POST ok, wont boot from cd

projectMu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Hi, i hope this is the right section.
So i decided to upgrade my Mobo/processor to Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H and a phenom II x3 BE. Ram is new(2x2gb OCZ gold 800) everything else is reused and working ok.

So i hooked everything up last night and it POSTs fine. From what ive searched in order to save my old XP I have to change the boot order to CDrom then HD and do a "repair" with the installation CD. I did so and after it POSTs, the CD spins, does nothing, then it goes into the "Safe mode, last known good config, start normal" screen(im assuming 2nd boot HD). I choose any and the pc restarts itself. Rinse and repeat....
When i only connect the CD drive is says "boot disk failure, insert system disk and press enter"

Possibly important info: The installation CD im using is not from the original install, it is a different burned copy with a volume license, and working since i popped it in before the mobo switch. But that shouldnt matter right? because all install cds are the same, just keys are different.

Am i safe to assume hardware(memory, IDE cable, etc) is ok since it gets as far as it does? Do i just need to find the original install disc?
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Solution
Sounds like the CD you are trying to use to install the OS is not a bootable CD, that it does not have the files to allow the system boot into OS setup.