FATAL ERROR with prime95

letsplay2

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
i have overclocked my amd athlon 64 x2 5200+ from 2.7 to 3.0 and i was stressing it with prime95 , at the first test (1024k) i got this error "FATAL ERROR : Rounding was 0.5 ,expected less than 0.4" (thats for the 2nd core)
Any ideas what that means ,and what went wrong ? i got the error yesterday and i havent turn the pc off from then .. i was playing games (saints row the third , gta 4) , watching movies ( full hd) and everything is still ok (the temp stays at 75 C when stressed, 18 C when browsing at internet only)

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Boy you are impatient. It means you failed the stress test. You need to adjust your over clock. That means lowering the bandwidth and or adjusting your voltages. Often an over clocked cpu that fails a stress test will operate ok during most every day use. This is because the cpu never gets fully stressed in every day use. However most of us who over clock want the security of knowing that the adjustments we have made are stable under the most demanding situations. Modern games run a their highest settings and similar software can stress the cpu. It is the difference between doing it right and almost right.

letsplay2

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
so if i rise the vcore it will be ok ( i had puted it on 1.47 before and everything was ok except the temp wich was 95-96 C) now its 2.9 ghz at 1.38 cause its fully stable.
i can put the vcore at default (1.33) , +3.3% (1.38) ,+6.6% (1.42) and +10% (1.47)
i have tried to put it on 3.0 ghz and 1.42 but it failed the stress after 3 mins (before was after 50 sec). how to lower the bandwith?

Dogsnake

Distinguished
First you probably can not over clock the cpu by very much with the stock cooler. Here is a link to the forums OC guide (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-edition-overclock-guide-raising-multiplier). This link may also help you (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671558). Each sample is a bit different so it is a trial and error sort of thing to get a stable OC. Bandwidth is what you are calling the CPU speed. To get further help in the forum, I suggest you close this thread and open a new one "Help to OC athlon 64 x2 5200+". I am more familiar with Intel OC and the new thread will get AMD pro's to help you.