Solved

Confused over

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte GA-M61p-S3 AM2 motherboard (with latest F7F BIOS) and an AMD 64 Athlon x2 5200+ CPU. I would like a faster gaming system and want to upgrade the CPU as I feel that is where my system is lacking. According to the new BIOS my board can now take AM2+ and AM3 CPU' HOWEVER " If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support List" for more information".
Does this mean that there is no point in an AM2+ or AM3 CPU because the bus speed will be halved and thus performance will be impared?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about confused over
  1. No. The ht speed is less important than the cpu fsb.
  2. Best answer
    Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

You can get a better performance with upgrade the CPU, but bear in mind this points:

1- You need be sure that the processor is supported by your mobo.
    2- Currently I have a X4 955 in a mobo socket AM2+ and my HT is 2000, but the HT isn't very important as the CPU FSB
    3- You new AM3 processor support DDR3, but if you install it in a mobo AM2+ only can use DDR2, that can reduce the performance.
    4- Not all the performance on games depends of the processor, you also bear in mind the GPU and RAM.
  3. OK rad, thanks very much!
  4. Any time, that's why we are here.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards BIOS CPUs AMD